Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Kenmore Series 90 top load clothes washer model 110.28902790

Customer Question

Kenmore Series 90 top load clothes washer model 110.28902790 will not drain, stuck at 2nd rinse cycle. Has power (humm at first attempt to restart), no kink in drain line, no visible leakage.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

so this stops at the drain cycle and does nothing ?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
correct
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
okay your lid switch is bad. it either went bad or broke loose from the top, here a link to the part and a video on how to test it, http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Lid-Switch-Assembly/3949247/547225?modelNumber=110.28902790 I'm sure thats your issue though. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Would the switch fail "mid-wash?" Did not drain at start of 2nd rinse, did drain, of course, after wash and first rinse, etc.
and, I assume I have to bail out the washer to get at the switch?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
yes , if the switch fails it will stop at whatever cycle it was on at the time, you really don't have to bail the water out to get to this, you can take the cabinet off and replace it, heres a video on how to remove the cabinet, there are different types of cabinets but it shows them all, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XIsK3W_Qcg this will make it easy for you. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
That's too cool. thanks.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
your very welcome, have a great weekend. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Bryan, alas, replaced switch with a genuine sears part #3949238, got a 'hum' , then nothing.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Wow, did you get the home before this? Does it just come when it gets to the spin cycle or does not do anything in the beginning of the cycle? Is your water turned on? The hum you heard may have been the water valve trying to put water in but if you waters off all it will do is hum, let me know, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It's working now. Had the hot water turned off for quite a while because the soelenoid was bad (we thought) and the washer wouldn't run if we selected warm or hot. Turned hot water back on, and voila.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Will that's good, I was kinda wondering why that would happen to you after replacing the lid switch, I'm glad you figured it out, thanks and very best wishes, Bryan