Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I was trying to diagnose a smell and noise from my dryer. I

I was trying to diagnose a smell and noise from my dryer. I thought by replacing the drum roller would fix the problem. After replacing the drum rollers, I turned on the dryer and a spark came from the timer.

Any advice on what is the next steps?

thanks
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

did you open the control and check the wiring at the timer ?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The control was already opened. I thought it was a starter switch problem because the dryer stopped working but after I unplugged the dryer then checked the starter switch, it started to work again.

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
okay , one of the contact in the timer has blown, you need to replace the timer. heres a link to the timer. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Timer/Y308254/1245995?modelNumber=LDG8414AAM thanks and best wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Could that have been the cause of the smell or is there something else I need to look at which caused the timer to blow?

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
well what I would do is make sure the motor turns easy, if it doesn't this may have caused both issues. motors smell funny when they are dying.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I just checked the motor and it turns easy. I forgot to mention that before I plugged the dryer back in, I turned the dial to start the dryer but I did not press the start button. The timer sparked as soon as I plugged the dryer back into the socket. Could the thermal fuse be the issue?

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
is there no power at all no, it wont do anything ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
After the timer sparked, I unplugged the dryer fearing for the worse. If I plug it back in, will it create another spark?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
I cant be sure are you sure the spark was from the timer itself ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, the spark came from the timer. The control panel was still open.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
okay well try plugging it back in and see if it sparks again, don't be touching the machine while you do that, you may have blown the thermal fuse if theres no power in the machine now, let me know
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Before I plug it back in, I just discovered that I did blow the fuse on the electrical box. I just popped the switch back on. Should I continue with your advice and plug it in to see what happens?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
well this could be a pinch wire in the machine, maybe when you put this back together you pinch a wire and its shorting out, I would unplug it and take it apart again and check it, that might be all thats wrong.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The machine is working again. I think the cause of the spark was one of the wires probe from the timer was touching the metal part of the dryer. I noticed a burned(black mark). near the timer. I will continue to finish changing the drum rollers and idler pulley. Hopefully, this will resolve my noise and smell problem. thanks so much for your assistance.

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

thats great, if you need more assistance you have 30 days after you accept to ask additional questions, thanks Bryan