Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a Maytag dryer Model LDE8424ACE that is not heating.

I have a Maytag dryer Model LDE8424ACE that is not heating. I check continuity on the two thermal fuses, heating element and the high limit thermostat and they checked out ok. I checked the cycling thermostst and have continuity on the end terminals (purple and orange wire) and no continuity on the side terminals (black and white). Could this thermostat be the problem? Can you recomend any additional testing? Thanks for the help!!

Al

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

did you remove one wire from each of the parts you tested when you tested them ? can you tell me on this diagram which parts you tested ?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i tested items 6 thermal fuse, item 11 high limit therm, item 8 heating element. I removed the assembly from the dryer and tested.
okay well the cycling thermostat wont have continuity unless the dryer is running, this just tells the timer to advance in the automatic cycle, give me a few minutes, I'll be back, want to look at other possibility's
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Bryan, are you still working on this. I will accept
yes sorry I'm looking up the info, this takes some time I will be back in a couple of minutes
okay so I gather since you have a volt meter you know how to check voltage correct ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

i can with guiedence

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
what should I test?
okay what you would need to do is remove one wire from the heating element itself and then test for power to ground while the machine is running , one wire comes from the motor centrifugal switch and the other side from the timer, find out which one is missing power , if its the motor side the switch is bad if its the timer side its bad, heres a wiring diagram click this link, http://www.appliancepartspros.com/partsearch/model.aspx?model_id=26433&diagram_id=28444163#d28444163
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

A few questions: with the front panal off do i need to jumper the door switch wires to get the dryer to run?

Verify: Remove black wire (motor) from heating element, run dryer and test for voltage from the termanel of the element or the wire? (one test lead to the element terminal or wire? and one lead to ground (the dryer cabinet)).

yes you need to jump the door switch, pull the black wire and test it for power to ground, if you get 120 volts its the timer
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

from the black wire i got 4.5 volts

from the purple wire i got 119 volts

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
is the centrifical switch located in the moter or is it outside and something I can replace?
okay purple comes from the timer correct ? don't have the diagram up, does the switch look like this ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the switch does not look like that. From heating element.brown jumper wire from element to high limit thermostat. purple connects to otherside of thermostat and goes to one terminal of cycling thermostat splits from that terminal and goes to temp switch
okay, I will need to see if thats available, give me a few
cant find the switch, looks like you may need to replace the motor, heres a link to that, http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Drive-Motor/Y303358/1245851?modelNumber=LDE8424ACE heres the part # XXXXX the switch if you want to google it.

Motor switch (dryer)

Manufacturer Number 306207 you may find one on line

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

ok, so we determined it is the centrifical switch in the motor and not the tempature switch. thanks for your help. I will accept answer after you reply. thanks again

Al

yes if your not getting 120 from the motor its definitely the motor switch. thanks and best wishes, Bryan