Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

We have a GE Clothes Washer Model # XXXXX Serial #

Customer Question

We have a GE Clothes Washer Model # XXXXX Serial # XXXXX It has recently begun to leak water on the floor (1/4 to 1/2 inch) I think during the last spin cycle. This has occurred twice in the last 3-4 weeks. It occurred once abour a year ago.
Both times we called the GE Appliance service in our area and both times the technician examined all the hoses, connections, electrical and water to no avail. Everything appeared 'normal'. The Technician surmised that perhaps we had 'overloaded' the machine and that some article of clothing had 'hung' on the top edge of the washer bucket and sucked water out. I don't know if that's a possibility or not and would like your 'take' on the situation before I pay another $75 to some technician who doesn't seem to be able to help. Thank you for your help.
Ray V. Stark
Retired GE employee
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

how much water ? a lot like its overflowing or just a little ? a cup or two.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hey Bryan,

I'd estimate more than a cupful but probably less than 2 quarts.

Ray S.

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
these are famous for having a pin hole in the tub hose, and this can leak sometimes and you wont see it, it a fine spray in the drain cycle. its either that or the drain isn't draining fast enough before the tub starts spinning causing the water to rise up the sides of the tub and over.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Bryan,

Assuming it is that the drain isn't draining fast enough before the tub starts spinning causing water to rise up the sides of the tub and over, what can I do to correct this problem?

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

is it just in the drain cycle or does this happen in agitate too ? is the outer tub spinning when this is agitating ?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Bryan,

I have checked the hoses and the drain during all phases of washer operation and cannot duplicate leaks! I suspect my bride overloaded the machine which in turn filled the barrell to a point where the water sloshed over the top when the agitator kicked on.

I shall monitor the situation over the next few weeks and let you know if the leaking persists or if more careful loading solves the problem.

Thanks for your input.

Ray Stark

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
no problem , come back if you need more helps, thanks Bryan