Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.

my self defrosting fridge freezer forms frost and ice

my self defrosting fridge freezer forms frost and ice and doesnot defrost whats wrong?
Hi my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem.Please allow me some time to do research and type a response to each of your posts.

You are seeing frost on the rear panel inside the freezer?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok the problem here is going to be with either the defrost heater or defrost thermostat, Open the freezer and take the shelfs out, then remove the lower panel inside the rear, If this is a top mount freezer remove the panel in the rear.

Once the panel is out you will see the evaporator, Thaw the frost on the evaporator with a hairdryer or let the unit sit overnight with the door open. Once the ice is thawed you will see the defrost heater looped below the evaporator. Test this with a ohms meter, if it reads open then it will need to be replaced.

If the heater reads good (continuity) then the defrost thermostat is bad and will need to be replaced. This is located clipped to the top corner of the evaporator and looks like this.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Hitting the accept button does not exclude you from asking further questions at a later date. Please don't forget to hit the accept button since this is how I get paid for my time and effort.

Please don't leave feedback until we are completely finished,this is a process, you may want to come back later and I would be happy to give you additional assistance if needed. Taking time to give me Positive feedback is always appreciated.