Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a GE dishwasher (part # XXXXX) and the rinse

Customer Question

I have a GE dishwasher (part # XXXXX) and the rinse cycle is not working. No water is coming up through the rinse tubes at all. I have put a bowl on the bottom rack to see if it collects water and it does not, it remains bone dry. That is why I know the rinse cycle does not work. For that matter the wash cycle may not work either. Here is what happens when I set it to the rinse cycle.

Water fills up in the bottom of the dishwasher and then it stops. After about five minutes the dishwasher starts up again and drains the water in the bottom and then it shuts completely off.

I have checked the float switch by removing the float cover and manually raising and lowering the float. The switch makes a clicking noise so I am assuming it is working.

What else would cause this and what can I check?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is Bryan,I look forward to helping you today.

you never hear the main wash pump kick in once the water is in? just the drain pump comes on and drains the water?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The water comes into the dishwater from a port on the side near the bottom and then all noise stop, like I said. After about five minutes (give or take a few minutes) the pump starts and drains the water and then the dishwasher turns off. I hear no other noises.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
thats bad it means the control has failed,

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
you will need to replace it, you can order it @ http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Control-Board/WD21X10247/1256953?modelNumber=GHDA480N10WW thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
As I stated before. This is when I set it to rinse mood. Why would the washer pump need to kick in? I am trying to rinse not wash. Do you want me to try running the dishwasher in in a wash mood?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
oh yes Please try that, we need to know if it washes, sorry misunderstood
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I put it on normal wash tonight and it filled and drained at least three times. I never heard any other motor other than the drain pump. Are you saying this is the control board that is causing this? Why would it not be the washer motor? I don't want to go out and spend $115 on a control board and then find out that is not what it is.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
you can test that by seeing if the wash motor gets 120 volts to it between the drain cycles
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Byran

I have not forgot about you. I took the cover off the bottom front of the washer. I tried spinning the motor by hand by moving the fins inside. It will not spin. I then started the washer and was watching to see if the fins on the inside of the motor would spin. When it came to the motor engaging the fins turned about 3/16 on and inch and stopped. This tells me that the motor is getting power to it. I don't want to replace the motor if I do not have to. Is there a way that something could have gotten lodged in the motor to keep it from spinning? I should be able to spin it by hand, I would think.

I will accept your answer as soon as we are done. How much does it cost each time I accept an answer from you or do I wait until the issue is resolved?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Yes it is possible that something is jammed in the chopper assembly,

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
you would need to pull the pump out in order to check this however, this means remove in the machine from under the counter, it's possible something get wrapped around the chopper blade I've seen this more than once is a plastic or something like that, check that get back to me and let me know, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I tried to remove the motor. I had all the screws out and for some reason the motor would not separate from the pump, I did not want to force it either. No fear though. While I was trying to separate the motor from the pump, something must have given way inside and broke free because I was able to spin it by hand. I put the screws back in and started the washer and everything works fine now.

I am glad I did not do your first recommendation and purchase the $115 control, I would have been extremely upset once getting that and finding out that was not the problem.

Thank you
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

ME too, I'm glad we went on with this , good job. You must've had something stuck in it and you broke it loose that's great, very best wishes and thanks, Bryan