Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a Kenmore microwave, about 5 years old. Will shut off

I have a Kenmore microwave, about 5 years old. Will shut off after a 2-3 minutes of power, screen totally blank. Will then come back on after 2-3 minutes (cool down?) and I have to reset the time/date, etc. Is this something I can fix myself or do I need to call in a repariman?

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

your power control board is bad, it would need to be replace the fix this issue, you can order it at , ve-Parts/6871W1S387B/0022/721/Model-72180833500/0583/0123370?keySuffixId=NA&pathTaken=partSearch&pathRender=modelComponent&documentCompId=K0810077&diagramPageId=00002&productTypeId=x&searchModelNumber=72180833500&subCompDesc=Controller&brandDesc=KENMORE ELITE&modelDesc=MICROWAVE---RANGE-HOOD&blt=11 part # XXXXX on this diagram, unfortunately this is common on these, thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks. Can you tell me if this is something fairly easy to install? I'm not particularly handy with electronics, but can certainly snap in a new board if that's all thee is to it.

well what you need to do is open the control panel to access the board, taking part # XXXXX (the grill one the top above the door) gives you access to the screw to release the control, be careful,microwaves are dangerous to work on even unplugged, they can store a lethal amount of voltage in the high voltage capacitor,