Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a 2001 GE monogram side by side 42 refridge, ZIS42NCA.

I have a 2001 GE monogram side by side 42 refridge, ZIS42NCA. Can't get fridge side down below 45 degrees. Freezer working fine. Here is what I have done;

1.) removed fridge damper and operated without it, still won't get cold. Some ise build up at opening which I removed.
2.) disconnected (at switch only) the defrost system
3.) opened up and checked freezer side; fan blowing, evaporator feels cold.
4.) It does not seem to be getting good cold airflow from freezer side to fridge through damper slot.

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

in the freezer behind your food is there frost on the panel?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No frost build up at all in the freezer
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.

did you remove the panel inside the freezer and check the coils and the air returns ? if the returns are blocked

the air wont flow.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have not removed the "ceiling" panel of the freezer that would expose the coils but I can do that tonight. Looking up into the return and supply they appear to be open but your are right, they could be clogged out of my site.

I will open it up and check. Can this case be kept open for a couple days until see if this does the trick?

Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
sure . just don't close the question and it will stay open, these do get clogged, let me know what you find, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Good morning

I removed the panel, coils are cold, clean and generally ice free. No blockage in the return. Is there a chance the defrost system is stuck on? I disconnected the switch lead in the fridge but not sure if that disabled it or not.

Any ideas?

Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
can you tell if the compressor is running ? if this was stuck in defrost the fans and the compressor wouldn't be running, was there no frost on the coils at all ? there should be a light frosting on all the coils inside the freezer.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, compressor runs and circulation fans starts when required. No real frosting of the coil fins, maybe a light film of frost. Is there a chance the refrigeration charge is low?
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
thats what I'm thinking is a sealed system issue, are all the coils lightly frosted? do they stay frosted or do they defrost while its running ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
They seem to be very lightly frosted. Still retain the Aluminum fin color, not frost white. I can watch it more closely tonight.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
okay .