The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances

We bought a new home and have found a sub zero 642 built in

Customer Question

We bought a new home and have found a sub zero 642 built in and 427R wine fridge on Craigslist for sale. They are $3500 and $3000 respectively. The lady has lived in the home 2 years and guesses they are about 10 years old. How nervous should I be? How long do they last and how much damage can I do moving them even if I'm very careful?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 2 years ago.

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer.
If the answer I provide for you is helpful, please click 'ACCEPT'. I won't be paid if you don't.
sub Zero units are some of the best out there. The life expectancy of these units is over 25 years (with proper maintenance).

Originally these units sell for over 7,000.00.

The price is a fair one if they are well maintained.

Moving the units is no more complicated than moving a regular refrigerator. Just keep the compressor upright at all times and you should be fine.

Please let me know if you require further assistance, or information.
If not, please click on "ACCEPT".
After you accept, please leave feedback.
Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How old do you think this model is based on the model number? The lady didn't know and was only guessing that it was about 10 years old - I assume from given the age of the home?

So no laying this down in the back of a pick up truck eh? I thought that was the case. That probably means that I'd have to get a budget truck and so forth.

I can get a new floor model with warranty for $7000 like you point out.

Do you have any idea of the repair frequency on these units? Are the compressors about the only thing that really breaks? And if so, any idea what it costs for a new compressor?

Thanks Home Smithy -

I am sorry but I have no way of determining the age of the unit. You could contact the manufacturer and I'm sure they could provide you with the date if manufacture.

No, no laying it down. There is too much risk of the compressor oils getting into the sealed system and plugging it up. That would result in major repairs.

The compressors in these units are very dependable. They are commercial grade and only need replacement if the units are not maintained properly.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
I'd really like to hear from someone that specifically services and knows sub zero as opposed to appliances in general. Yes, I could contact the manufacturer to see when these units were no longer manufactured, but I was hoping to get that as part of this process. Also, what things should I look for if I go look at the units. I'd like more information other than a quick answer.