MRANSWER
MRANSWER, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 YRS EXP. FACTORY TRAINED AND AUTHORIZED ON ALL MAJOR BRANDS
13971964

Hello. I have a 10 year old Series 90 heavy duty washer

Customer Question

Hello.

I have a 10 year old Series 90 heavy duty washer on the upper floor of my home.

A year or two back the Permanent Press started acting up with the motor starting and stopping every few seconds during the cycle. So, I having been using the Normal cycle exclusively ever since. I suspect(ed) the units timer motor.

Yesterday, the tub overflowed during the initial fill cycle and overflowed for 35-45 minutes before it was discovered..... no need to describe the mess I have been cleaning up ever since.....

Any, I again suspect the main timer has failed in some way.

Given the two failures listed above, is it most likely a failed timer, or could it be something else?

thanx,
dave gouge
Category: Appliance
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 2 years ago.
The washer uses a pressure switch to control the fill. There is a tube that connects it to the tub. It must be secure at both ends and you should be able to blow thru it into the tub. IF THAT IS SO, then replace the switch. The perm press issue sounds like the motor to me, not the timer and at 10 yrs old I would not expect the cost of replacing it to be economical.

I do this in hopes of earning the pledged amount. If you need more info JUST ASK- I have no way of knowing what else you need otherwise. I am diagnosing this site unseen so give me the benefit of following this thru instead of relisting it as an incomplete answer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you.

So, even thought the motor works just fine on all cycles except permanent press, it is still likely the motor and not the timer?
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 2 years ago.
Yes- in pp it uses different windings from those used in the others.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, thanks.

I may look into replacing the tub switch, or I may simply buy a new machine and be done with it.

What would you do in my place?
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 2 years ago.
The part is cheap- do not buy it from Sears if replacing it. This is a good washer, so I would fix this for now as you can get another 5 or so years out of it with minimal repairs.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Where can I find a tub pressure switch cheaper than Sear's?
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 2 years ago.
Any local parts supplier- it is a Whirlpool-built machine.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I thank you for your time, I think this is money well-spent since I likely would have purchased the main control switch module on the hopes that would fix it.

I do not see this pressure switch on my machine parts list, perhaps it is called something else.

Does clicking the "Accept Answer" button pay you your $50?
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 2 years ago.
CALL up the supplier of your choice and just tell them what you need and the model#- they will find it for you. Clicking accept pays me, so thank you!
MRANSWER, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 30 YRS EXP. FACTORY TRAINED AND AUTHORIZED ON ALL MAJOR BRANDS
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Have a nice day, and thanks.
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 2 years ago.
Thanks again and be sure to check that the switch is indeed bad by doing what I said at the beginning of this- no point in replacing a part for no reason.