Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

Hi, Ive got a 2 year old Epic Z model MHWZ400TQ01 clothes

I've got a 2 year old Epic Z model MHWZ400TQ01 clothes washer. It powers up but pressing and holding the "start" button shuts it down like I hit "cancel". It shows no error codes and the control panel goes dark. This is the case in all cycle choices except "Spin" which starts up and runs just fine.

I've checked the water inline filters and the drain and they're all clear.
What do you think?
Thanks, XXXXX

Hi, thanks for using Please remember, I do not get paid for my time and expertise until you accept. Try unplugging the washer for a few minutes and see if the control resetting clears up the problem. Let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yeah, I've tried that a few time with no results.
Okay, thank you. Unplug the washer. Remove the three screws from the back of the top panel and slide the panel back and off. Locate the main CCU in the front RH corner of the machine, directly behind the control panel. Find the connector labeled MI3 and disconnect it. Plug the machine back in and see if a normal cycle will then program.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
You can simply refer back to this thread when you get home. I am also on MST, in Billings, MT. I will be around intermittently this evening until around 9:00, so I will await your reports! Enjoy your afternoon!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I've disconnected M13, plugged the machine back in but it still won't go into cycle.

Okay, does it light up but then shut off when you push the start button still?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes, it lights up then shuts down after holding the start button in
Okay, and just to clarify, if you select the "Drain/Spin" cycle, it will start as it should and complete that cycle?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes, the spin cycle is the only thing on the dial that works

Okay, you will need to replace the main machine control, number 6 in the picture. With it starting and completing the spin cycle, it proves the door lock, motor control and wiring are all good. The User Interface is working as it allows you to program different cycles. That only leaves the machine control, the most commonly failed part. The link below will take you to the correct control for your model.

Machine Control $106.59

Diagram for MHWZ400TQ01

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thanks a lot, I will accept your answer and replace that. So those things only last a couple of years?
Yes, they have had alot of trouble with those controls. They have been remanufactured several times! Hopefully you won't have to replace it again soon!