Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have a all in one Magic Chef stove and oven attached unit

Customer Question

I have a "all in one" Magic Chef stove and oven attached unit which is set up on top of a half refrigerator in a studio apartment. (I believe this unit is not made anymore as it is 25 years old so I don't know the model number). The problem is that the pilot light in the upper oven section goes out at the slighest breeze into the kitchen either from opening the kitchen doors themselves (2 louver doors closeby) or by opening the window in the room. The oven pilot light which has a very small flame (could the line be a little clogged?) goes out sometimes and then there is a smell of gas. There seems to be no problem at all with the stove pilot light. The super has shut off the gas to the stove all together now because this has been a reoccuring problem. Please let me know what you think could be the problem (with the gas line itself or with the stove) and if and how it can be fixed. Perhaps a technician can come to see the stove. Thank you, XXXXX
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 years ago.

Hi, thanks for using JustAnswer.com. Please remember, I do not get paid for my time and expertise until you accept. The lines are likely slightly obstructed and will need to be cleaned. They make a special orifice cleaning kit, but you will likely not have one. If you are not comfortable with gas, you may consider having a tech come out and clean them for you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Kelly,

I appreciate what you said about a technician to look at the stove gas lines and cleaning them. It is not a question of not being comfortable with the gas smell. I know that it is dangerous to inhale at all.

B.

Expert:  Kelly replied 5 years ago.

Correct, if you are comfortable proceeding, we surely can! Since I doubt you have an orifice cleaning tool, you can make one. Strip the insulation from a piece of wire and separate the wire strands until you have one or two strands together. Use those strands to insert into the pilot orifices and clean any obstructions from them. Relight the pilots and see if they are any larger.