Tom Johnston
Tom Johnston, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 years experience

I have an older MAH 1 - wasnt draining completely so I cleaned

Customer Question

I have an older MAH 1 - wasn't draining completely so I cleaned out the drain lines and found a significant clog in the impeller in the pump, but it still won't drain. Noticed the door lock light not coming on, so I am assuming the machine isn't spinning. Have also noticed a "burnt electrical" smell occasionally coming from the machine.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tom Johnston replied 2 years ago.
Hi welcome to just answer my name is XXX XXX i will be helping you today with your problem.

Can i have the complete model # XXXXXX it is inside the door.

If this has been helpful please press accept.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
there is nothing inside the door but my paperwork says MAH4000AWW bought in 99
Pull the machine out unplug it and remove the back of the control panel. Inspect inside there for any burning.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
aready did that long ago
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

already did that long ago

What did you find ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

looks perfectly normal - no evidence of any shorting/burning. The tub still rotates easily. I'm wondering if there is a short in the door switch and perhaps I should undo that switch cover.

If every thing is fine inside the control panel then yes the door lock is the problem.

Register Here
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

so how do I fix that?

To access the door lock open the door there are screws on the left and right where it closes remove them. Then pull the front off from the edges. The top is held by a couple hex head screws behind it. Also undo the screws holding the dispenser and the lid will lift and you can replace the lock.

Register Here
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
well actually....I lied. NOT intentionally. I had pulled the back off the main compartment - just pulled the back off the control panel and sure enough, evidence of burning. Trying to figure out how to describe it to you - as I have no picture -
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have to go - I have a class
ok