Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have a Whirlpool Duet washer GHW9250ML0 The cycle doesnt

I have a Whirlpool Duet washer GHW9250ML0 The cycle doesn't start right away. I have to keep turning it on and off. Opening and closing the door before the door locks to get the cycle started. I replaced the door lock switch. It is still doing the same thing. The only other thing I can think of is the main control unit. I do not get any error message. It just won't lock until I go through the above procedure enough times.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 years ago.

Hi, thanks for using JustAnswer.com. Please remember, I do not get paid for my time and expertise until you accept. When you start a cycle, do you hear a faint clicking sound near the top rear of the washer?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have to say no. Sometimes I hear a slight electrical noise but I couldn't say it was a click. It sounds like a contact type noise but very faint. I just tried it now and held my ear up to the top and as usual it wouldn't start but totally silent also.
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 years ago.
Okay, remove the three screws from the back of the top panel. Slide the panel back and it will then lift off. The main machine control will then be exposed. Tap rather firmly on the top of the board housing, just left of center, while the machine is initially starting and see if the door locks. Let me know what happens. Those screws on the lid are 7mm or T15 Torx.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Still didn't start. I hit it firmly with a screwdriver handle. All the connections seem tight as well. I have a copy of the repair manual. I can meter out the contacts and take readings per the manual if you like.
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 years ago.
So, just to clarify, when you select a normal cycle and try to start it, it shuts off or just sits there? Try starting it again and see if you can hear the relay trying to close in the main control. Also, disconnect the harness marked DL on the front LH side of the board and reconnect it. Let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Onced it starts it works fine. It doesn't shut off, it just won't start easily like it used to. Unplugged the DL and plugged back in. No difference. I got it to start twice while playing with it. The only time it clicks, is when it actually starts. When it won't start no solenoid noise, just silence.
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 years ago.
Okay, since it started when you were messing with it, that leads to a connection issue either at the end of the harness (not likely) or on the board itself (most likely). Look closely at the end of the harness that plugs into the control for any sign of corrosion or other issue. Do the same for the connection points on the control. If nothing looks suspicious, you will likely need to replace the control. Let me know what you see and I can get you part information, if necessary.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
All the connections look good. I pulled them and replaced them. I started it again and saw a spark at behind DP2 when the solenoid kicked in. I assume that is normal?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Oh not to confuse but once it started it wouldn't start again as it has been doing. I didn't want you to think it fixed itself.
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 years ago.

Okay, that is not normal, you will need to replace the control. The link below will take you to the correct one for your model.

Machine Control

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I had a feeling it was going to be that once the door lock switch didn't fix it. Thank you!!!

Do you also know about microwaves?