Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
11179659

Our 14 year old Westinghouse refrig died following the 40 hr

Our 14 year old Westinghouse refrig died following the 40 hr power outage this weekend.
We aren't sure if repair makes sense or if we should explore getting something new. What should we expect for repair, it did seem to run for awhile after the power came back but now nothing.

Joan
Andover, MA
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you.

First look in the freezer (even though it may be warm) at the rear inside wall, can you find a frosty spot anywhere?

Check to see that the freezer fan is blowing steady air out of the vent in the freezer, is it?

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No frosty spot anywhere in freezer, and yes steady air blowing out the vent in the freezer.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX behind the unit and remove the lower panel. Touch the compressor on the top. Is the compressor hot, warm or cold and is it vibrating? And have you heard a buzz or click from back there?

Is the fan back there working as well?

Thanks,
Barry

CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK, compressor is cold, no buzz, no clicking. But the fan is working!
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Great thank you. Unplug the refrigerator. Replace the parts on the side of the compressor. The wiring that starts the fan at the back also starts the compressor. The only difference is the parts on the side of the compressor must engage to start it. Thats the overload and relay set. Those parts pull straight off there is not a lock nor nothing that holds them on other than a tight fit unless there is a cover. If there is a square box on the compressor that will be a cover and the parts will be under that. Be sure to take a picture or make a wiring diagram of how those parts are wired before removing any wires. Take a few of them because there will not be a way to get a wiring diagram for a model this old.

Call around with your model number to applaince parts stores, what you are needing is the overload and relay for the compressor. That will take care of it.

Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.