MRANSWER
MRANSWER, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 YRS EXP. FACTORY TRAINED AND AUTHORIZED ON ALL MAJOR BRANDS
13971964

I have a GE 36 Island Vent Hood, model ZV850, 10 years old.

Customer Question

I have a GE 36" Island Vent Hood, model ZV850, 10 years old. It has started blowing the 250 watt inline fuse. Would go for awhile (month or two) and now sequence is much shorter. Last time was 5 minutes. Can I use a larger fuse or what is the problem. Unit works fine until fuse blows.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 5 years ago.
Fuses blow only for a reason and they are sized for one as well. Let me know if (1) the fuse is gripped tightly by its holder and (2) when is it blowing. I cannot fix this for you- I can only tell you, with you doing the needed work, what is wrong and what needs to be done to fix it. Whether you can do the work or not has no bearing on what the problem is and what needs to be done to fix it.

I do this in hopes of earning the pledged amount as I would not be doing this otherwise. I have bills to pay just like you and this is part of my work. I cannot know what else you need unless it is asked, so please do so as I deserve that chance- do not relist this simply because an issue was not covered- I cannot read minds.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I appreciate your interest. I first encountered the problem about a year ago. (10 years old). Put the new 250w fuse in and no problems. Lasted 6-8 months or so. Then went out again. Same process. Lasted 2-3 months. Again and again. Shorter periods until this time it only lasted 10 minutes.

Fuse appears to be gripped tightly (snug). GE told me I needed a new circuit board? Never could explain why the intermittant repair times. I was wondering if we could go to a larger fuse? I understand the hazards involved, but is there a zone we could operate in?

Expert:  MRANSWER replied 5 years ago.
Is the fuse you are using a glass one so you can see the element?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes.

Expert:  MRANSWER replied 5 years ago.
Ok, if there is a short developing the element will explode and you will see a bunch of material sprayed all over it. If it was from an overload then it just melts with no splatter. Knowing what was running when it blows will be a big clue as this protects the circuit board in the hood which controls the fan and lights.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The element has melted clean each time. No splatter. The 4 24volt lights and the fan were working at the same time this time for sure. Not sure about previous episodes.
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 5 years ago.
You need to use this with only 1 thing on and see which function is causing the failure of the fuse. It may go out on both- but do that and post back whenever and I will see what you can do here. thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK. Will have to get more fuses. Hard to find. Thanks. Will get back to you ASAP.
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 5 years ago.
ok-will wait and see results
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I installed new fuses and ran tests to see what was causing problem. No faulting even when I left lights and fan on same time. 10 plus minutes each. Turned everything off for the night and when I returned next morning nothing would work?
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 5 years ago.
That issue would point to a fault within the control unit itself. I will call GE to confirm what I think and I will reply again.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks.
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 5 years ago.
Make sure your lamps are all 20 watts or less as anything higher will blow the fuse. This fuse protects the lamp circuit and the low voltage power supply to the control board only. The fuse should be an 8 amp fuse rated at 250 volts. If that is what you have installed then replace the triac- it is mounted on the front and has 3 wires to it- black, brown and orange. Some current may be leaking thru it and causing the fuse to blow. If the fuse still blows then there is an issue with the control board.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes I have the fuse right. It is a 250 volt. Not sure about 8 amp. Will check light bulbs. If everything checks then I will replace the triad. Thank you. Will let you know.
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 5 years ago.
OK