Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.

I have an amanna stainless steal 2 compartment (1 door top

Customer Question

I have an amanna stainless steal 2 compartment (1 door top frig w bottom pull-out freezer that is appx 10yrs old that I have never had serviced and has never gave me problems until recently. I do pull 0ut my frig and clean it, but lately the temp has fluctuated and I have to keep the temp on #7 to keep my food cold and I noticed that Ice has built up in the back of the freezer even though I recently cleaned out the frig and freezer. If I try to regulate the temp control to any setting less than #7 the temp inside my frige gets to a point where my food is only slightly cool.

Please help me, as I love my frig and can't afford to replace it.

Sincere Tanaks,

Art J.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX for choosing our service.

The frost you are seeing is that on the back wall?

Please look in the fresh food section up near the top for model/serial sticker and post the model number. I need the model to be able to see the diagrams.

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, the frost is accumulating on the back wall of the freezer and the model # XXXXX XXXXX Thanks for your help. Art
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Art, I need a few minutes to edit a diagram for you.

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok Barry, I will wait.

Art

Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
In the freezer remove the part arrowed blue, and then I believe there will be a hole there where you can turn the part arrowed red "CLOCKWISE". Turn that clockwise until the refrigerator shuts off. Give me a shout when you get that far. Take your time.

Barry

CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Barry I am confused, where is this part located, I don't see it. Is it covered with a plate of some kind?

Art

Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Yes there should be a hole under the light cover in the freezer about the size of a dime to turn that part.

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Iremoved the cover that holds the temp control knob in the freezer and the only exposed items i saw are a harness with wires. where is this arrow? Could it be under the large plate on the top of the freezer that this knob sits on? Help. Also, it is very difficult to work on this freezer. Is there an easy way to remove the freezer door? Help.

Art

Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
There is no arrow in your refrigerator. The arrow is in the diagram only. You are looking for a hole in the light reflector about the size of a dime.

The door may lift up and off or there may be locks further back on the guide rails that release the door to slide all the way out.

Barry

CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have removed all plates in my freezer and II still don"t see any wheel to tuurn. Are you looking at the drawing for model ARB8057CSL? Help.

Art

Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Yes, I am looking at the correct model. Below is a picture of the part, all of the controls (freezer and freshfood) are all clumped into one diagram (see below) it looked to me like that was the freezer part.

Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
graphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Barry, I removed another plate cover on the right top of my frig and there is a blue knob marked bypass cap. Is this the knob/wheel that you want me to turn?

Art

Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Thats not it Art. If you look at the picture below, I have circled the part that turns clockwise.

Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok Barry the machine is off. This part was directly under the temp control cap on the top of my freezer. Where do we go next?
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Listen closely for a few minutes at the back inside of the freezer for a hissing sound every now and then. Take all the time you need.

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Nothing, no sounds, except for melting ice from the freezer.

Art

Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Art, if you can get the back wall of the freezer off inside you can defrost the coils behind that wall with a hair dryer or you can unplug the refrigerator, open the doors and let it melt out about 8 hours. That will get it cooling again for about 10 days. Then it will be frosted again. You have a broken part and I need a few minutes to type out what needs to be done.

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Wrapped around the coils behind the rear inside wall is the heater, that heater is not defrosting the coils in the freezer. You will need to replace that and follow the wires from the heater to the half roll of quarters looking part with 2 wires coming out of it. That is the thermostat. You need to replace the heater and the thermostat. The thermostat will be clipped on the top of those freezer coils. The heater is pictured below.

Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Barry. ok I need to replace the heater and thermostate. Do I access and replace these parts from the inside of my freezer or by removing the panel on the back of my refrigerator? Also are these items expensive/worth replacing? And if so, can you give me the name of a parts place in the San Jose, CA. area where I can buy them?

Thanks!

Art

Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Sears will have them. What I would do is take the thermostat along with the model number because they are going to have a problem finding it. Its not shown on the factory diagrams but I know its there. Its there on all refrigerators that are frost free because its required, its a safety device. It will look almost identical to the picture below. The wires may look a little different or the clip that holds it onto the coils may be a little different.

I would estimate you could get both parts for less than $75. They are definitely located inside the freezer behind the rear wall where the frost is. The thermostat will be attached to the top of the coils and the heater will be along the bottom and sides of the coils.

Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here