Jerry, Plumber
Experience:  over 20 years residential plumbing experience.
34748161

I HAVE A 50 GALLON WATER HEATER. PURCHASED AT LOWES IN 09.

I HAVE A 50 GALLON WATER HEATER. PURCHASED AT LOWES IN 09. IT IS SENDING CALCIUM CRYSTALS THROUGHOUT THE HOUSE AND CLOGING THE FAUCETS. WHAT DO YOU THINK IS THE CAUSE? I HAVE A WATER SOFTENER. I DIDN'T HAVE IT WHEN I FIRST INSTALLED THE WATER HEATER. I'VE BEEN TOLD THAT THE CALCIUM COULD HAVE BEEN DEPOSITED IN THE WATER HEATER BEFORE I ADDED THE WATER SOFTENER AND THAT IT IS FLUSHING OUT THE CALCIUM FROM WHEN I DIDN'T HAVE A SOFTENER.'WHAT DO YOU THINK?
GENE SMITH
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Jerry replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JA! Its likely that is exactly what's happened. I would flush the tank some more and eventually it should clear up. Also it would be good too spend 75.00 to 100.00 and get your water tested before and after the softener. This will get you a more clear picture of what you need.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I DID HAVE THE WATER TESTED OUT OF THE WATER HEATER. THAT'S HOW I KNEW IT WAS CALCIUM.
Expert:  Jerry replied 5 years ago.
If you have the water tested before the water heater but after the water softener, this will tell you if there is a problem with the water before it enters the Heater. That way you can decide if your water heater is contaminated and if you replace it you can be assured its not going to continue with the problem.