Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Hello - I have a Whirlpool Gold Quiet Partner III dishwasher,

Hello - I have a Whirlpool Gold Quiet Partner III dishwasher, purchased new in 2003. Gets run about once a week on average. Apart from it not being that quiet, I've had no problems - always cleans perfectly no matter how dirty and caked with food my dishes are.

Last night I ran a "Normal" cycle on delayed start and it woke me up because it was making a loud grinding noise. I estimate it was about 1.5 hrs after it would have started. When I got to the kitchen, the "Sensing", "Heating" (even though Sani rinse was turned off on the controls) and the "Rinse" lights were on. The grinding seemed to be coming from the right-hand side. I opened it up. It was very hot inside and everything was wet - but no water in the bottom. I closed the door and it went back to its' grinding so I hit the Cancel button and left it. This morning I had a closer look - all the dishes looked clean...

It doesn't look like it spilled any water - I'll have to pull the toe-kick off when I get home to see if there's wetness on the floor underneath it.

What could it be?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

it sounds like the control board has failed, try shutting the power off for 5 minutes and then back on, try a regular wash cycle without delay and see if it works, let me know , thanks Bryan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Bryan,

Just to be clear... you mean cut power to the unit (i.e. shut the breaker off)?

(not sure why there would have been a grinding noise if the control board had failed but considering the sensing and heating lights were on for a rinse cycle that kinda makes sense)

Thanks.

Cheers,
Stephane
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
well if the control board failed just after it drain it may have stuck there , that would be the grinding noise and yes shut the breaker off. this may have just scrambled the control, try the reset.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Will try that tonight when I get home from work... replacing a control board is alot easier than a pump. I'll let you know.

Thanks,
Stephane
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
no problem Stephane, let me know, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Bryan,

That worked perfectly. I'll keep an eye on it for the next few cycles to ensure it stays sane. Is the control board in the door behind the buttons or underneath the dishwasher with the rest of the components?

Would you suspect that the same problem will start happening regularly or if it was a fluke - considering the age of the unit (8 yrs old)? I did install a whole-house surge suppressor on my electrical panel during my renovations to protect electronic modules like this from voltage spikes during storms.

Cheers,
Stephane
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
a fluke, glad its working, thanks Bryan