Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.

My Kitchenaid side-by-side fridge/freezer stopped working last

My Kitchenaid side-by-side fridge/freezer stopped working last night. In the past few months, the over temperature reset keeps beeping. I pressed the button, and it seems ok. Yesterday, the over temperature reset button beeps again, I pressed it. However, this morning, I found the food in the freezer are all thawned, and fridge is quite warm too.

I turned off the power, and turned back on after a couple of minutes. Then I didn't hear that noise a fridge usually makes. It seems the air compressor stopped working.

I don't know where to find the model number as I don't have the manual. All that I can tell is the control panel has following buttons from left to right:
power on/off
warmer+/cooler-, temperature of freezer
Select button
fridge temperature,+/-
max cool button
over temperature reset button
extend fresh temperature system

Looking forward to your answer. Greatly appreciated!

Monica
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Hello Monica my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

Please look in the fresh food section up near the top for model/serial sticker and post the model number. I need the model to be able to see the diagrams.

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

mod: KSRA25KKSS12

SER. SR1046159

MFG DATE: 03-04

Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX a few minutes.

Barry
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Unplug the refrigerator.

In the fresh food section where you make the temperature adjustments is the control panel. Arrowed blue is a panel that unsnaps, remove that then remove all of the screws from the part arrowed green. Replace the part arrowed red. That is not only the temperature adjustment but its also the control board for the whole refrigerator. Replace that board. The part number is(NNN) NNN-NNNN You can use that part number and shop anywhere with it to get the board for your refrigerator.

Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am completely lost. Can you explain what the reason is of the fridge failure? Based on your answer, it seems that the control board is the reason.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Yes that is correct, the control board is the reason. The control board has failed and the reason I concluded the control board is the bad part is because its the only single part in your refrigerator that will shut everything down but the lights. If any other part fails something is going to be making a noise, a fan or something will be running. There could be any number of reasons why the control board failed. Its an electronic part and like most electronic failures you almost never know why.

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There is some sound in the freezer, probably the fan. But the fridge part is quiet. Any more guess?
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Have you heard any other sounds? A buzz or a click from the back, is the fan at the back blowing?

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I pulled out the fridge, and checked the back. The back is completed covered, won't be able to see anything. I don't hear a buzz or click. All that I can hear is the noise from the freezer part, which I believe is from the fan.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Thats ok, you should be able to feel air from around the bottom somewhere if that rear fan is operating, if you do not the problem will still be the same control board.

The reason to listen for a buzz or a click from the back of the refrigerator is there is one other part that will shut down the compressor only. But it clicks or buzzes. What you can do is unplug the refrigerator for about 20 minutes. Plug it back in and listen closely at the back for the noise in case you have missed it before now. When you plug it in if there is going to be a click it will occur within 30 seconds.

Again if that does not happen, the board will still be the problem. If it does click definitely let me know.

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok. thanks, XXXXX XXXXX do as you instructed. Probably get back to you in an hour.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
You are welcome and that will be fine. I will be here.

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I unplugged it, and plugged it back about 1 hour later. I didn't hear any click or buzz. I checked the back by removing the cover at the bottom. The fan is working.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I also found that the relay on the compressor clicked a couple of times.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Touch the compressor on the to is it too hot to hold your hand on?

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It's hot. But I can keep my hand on it.

Did another check. The black relay clicks on when I press the over temperature reset, then clicks off after a couple of seconds.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Give me a couple of minutes to look at that part.

Barry
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
In the picture below is that the part thats attached to the side of your compressor circled red?

Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes. Looks like it is. And it is attached to the left side of the compressor, and only allows the compressor to circulate about 10 seconds at a time. And there is long periods between the cycles.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
I understand.

This is important. The first time after you plugged the refrigerator in did the compressor cycle longer that first time?

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Not sure, because we didn't remove the cover till after it was plugged back in. It was after the fact that we found it was cutting in and out.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Do it again, if it cycles longer the first time you have a clogged line in the coolant system. That means you will need to call a tech for the repair. The following questions are the ones that you should ask before accepting an agreement for an appliance repair.

Do you have a license to recover freon?
(They must be licensed its federal law) That way they just cannot come out without you knowing and charge you then leave because they do not have one.

What is the minimum you charge for a sealed system blockage repair?

Please and lastly ask them to bring the tools needed to repair a blockage. They may find the part of your unit that is clogged and be able to repair it that day, that could save a second trip charge.

This will give you some idea if you want to repair it or not.

If it does not cycle longer the first time after you have left it unplugged for 30 minutes replace the parts on the side of the compressor. Do not order those parts online you will end up with a kit and it will not be a simple replace the part job. Find those locally, be sure to take a picture of how its wired. Take several.

Here is what the difference is. If your compressor has a clog what will happen when you unplug it for 30 minutes is the built up pressure will equalize. This will allow the compressor to run longer the first time because it has to build that pressure. Then everytime after that the cycles will be short because the pressure is there and does not allow the compressor to run long.

If the parts that start the compressor on the side are defective the compressor will not run long that first time, all the cycles will be about equal from the start to the next cycle. Pressure will not affect that part.

Please ask if you have questions,
Barry
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Many thanks for your patience and the detailed explanation. I will unplug, and get back to you again.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome. Thank you for the opportunity.

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Barry

I got your message, but don't know where to go rate you.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
I don't know where it is, I have never seen your side of the website. Were you able to get it going?

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

HI, Barry,

Today, the over temperature reset goes off twice again. I pressed it, and then it seems working fine. But I am still concerned about it.

After the first talk with you, I replaced the part that starts the compressor on the side. The fridge then works fine until today. Do I need to do anything? what is the problem?

Thanks.

Monica

Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Monica

Take a look at 3 things, make sure there is no frost at all on the lower rear inside panel of the freezer. Not even the lightest coat, there should be nothing on that panel but small droplets of ice. Anything more and you need to stop there and let me know.

Make sure the fan is blowing air in the freezer. Make sure the outside fan is blowing air as well, and touch the compressor on the top again. Let me know what you find.

Have you heard the compressor overload tripping again?

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
HI, Barry,

My friend came to check it as you instructed:
- No ice/frost on the lower rear inside panel of freezer
- All fans are working
- The compressor is very hot.

what's next step?

Monica
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Monica, if the compressor is too hot to hold your hand on you will need to follow the instuctions above and call a sealed system repair tech. There just is nothing else to do. The only thing that will make a compressor get that hot is an internal compressor problem or a clogged line that the coolant flows through. Its as far as you can go. The heat indicates there is power present but there is not coolant flowing, if the coolant was flowing the compressor would be cool enough to touch.

Barry