repairman4734
repairman4734, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  38 years in self-employed major appliance & refrigeration service. Have 2 licenses to do refrig.
15371985

frigidaire refrigerator FRS6R3EW1 , 2005 built, woke this morning

Customer Question

frigidaire refrigerator FRS6R3EW1 , 2005 built, woke this morning to odd strong smell coming from vent at base. Collant, electrical sorta kinda, burnt coffee like smell ??? unpluged. Help please!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  repairman4734 replied 5 years ago.
Hi, my name is Farrell & I will be helping you with your problem today. Please remember that I do not get paid for my time and expertise, if you do not press the accept button, if my answer has been acceptable to you. Thanks for using just answer. Please, if you can, pull the frig.away from the wall. Go around back and remove the cover at the bottom. Using a flashlite, check the black dome, the fan to the right, mouse? Anything odd. Is the compressor fiery hot? Fan not running. Condenser dirty by the fan? Thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
we unplugged the fridge when waking a good hour ago...so has cooled down. will you stay available while I get the panel off please...will take a bit of time for me. Also..should I plug it back in to see if gets hot or fan running?
Good Morning, yes, I will be available. And yes, plug it back in, if you are going to be home. Thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
daughter leaving to take son to school now...will be back in 45. should she plug in before leaving now? I cannot get down on floor etc...sorry!! can we stay connected please?
Hi, go ahead and plug it in, s/b alright til she gets home. Leave this site open, or bookmark, and you s/b able to get back to me. If you loose me, you can come back into JA and request repairman 4734. Thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thanks!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
daughter is back. Did not plug in before leaving, but fan is running, dome not hot, have vaccummed large dust bunnies,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

whoa! spot to the left of the dome just looked like it caught on fire!!! she unplugged..thankfully had not plugged in before leaving. looks like calling a service person locally..??

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok...no answer from you and we are callling local help. thanks!
sorry, was away for a bit. Sounds like you checked what you could out. Only thing that would cause a smell like you described would be a hot compressor, or a mouse getting caught in the fan. If something stopped the fan, it could overheat. Best I can tell you for now. Thanks.