Appliance Man
Appliance Man, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance tech 4 years
13888241

I noticed ice crystals all of a sudden appeared in my kenmore

Customer Question

I noticed ice crystals all of a sudden appeared in my kenmore bottom freezer. I mistakenly did not check the door seal or the use and care manual. I tried to change the temp. And the numbers only decreased. Then I adjusted items in freezer and the seal is secure again. When my husband came home he read manual and determined the temps. Were originally ok for both fridge and bottom freezer but could not figure out how to increase temps. Back to original settings. This was last night and temps are -6 for freezer and 33 for fridge. We unplugged the fridge to see if the temps would reset to a default setting. That did not work. My question: how do I increase the temp numbers back to 0 and 37 as they were before?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hi my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem.Please allow me some time to do research and type a response to each of your posts.

Can you open the freezer door and look at the panel in the rear and tell me if you see frost on this panel?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry I'm just getting back to you. It's pacific time here and I went back to sleep for a while.

I checked and there seems to be very little on the back panel. There's crystals on top of items in the upper drawer. Also some crystals on the ice in the ice catcher in the same drawer. The crystals only appeared yesterday for the first time and I shifted the bulging freezer space so the door sealed tightly again.

However, that was after I tried changing the temp and it only decreased, couldn't get it to increase. So, temp has been at -6 for freezer all night and 33 for fridge all night.

I did see in the manual that there is a way to put temp control in demo mode for, like when the appliance is on showroom floor. Would that be the way to lower both temps until they are back to normal settings?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
I will have to get back to you, I'm on a service call, will respond when I get back to my pc. Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, I appreciate your help.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
If the door was left open then what is likely to have happened is ice built up on the evaporator causing the temp to get warmer because of the blocked airflow.

Put all the items from the freezer in a ice chest, remove the lower panel in the rear. Once the panel is off you will see the evaporator (looks like the radiator on a car) Use a hair dryer to melt the ice/frost on the evaporator. After this put the panel and the food back, then leave the unit for 6 hours to get back to the correct temp. You should be all set after this.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Hitting the accept button does not exclude you from asking further questions at a later date. Please don't forget to hit the accept button since this is how I get paid for my time and effort.

Please don't leave negative or neutral feedback, this is a process, I would be happy to give you additional assistance if needed. Taking time to give me Positive feedback is always appreciated.

Thanks!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Let me explain again, the temperature did not go up after the freezer bin door was left ajar.

The temperature according to the manual was correct at 0 degrees for the freezer and 37 degrees for the upper fridge unit. I didn't read the manual however and just assumed that the temperature was too low for the fridge since I thought it should be 40 degrees. So, I started pushing the digiatl temperature button and the temperature only decreased in degrees for both the fridge part and for the freezer part. There's two control buttons. The icemaker is working just fine, it is making all the right noises like usual but the problem is it is now too cold at -6 degrees for the freezer and 33 degrees for the fridge. That part is my fault because I didn't read the manual. If I had I would only have had to make sure the seal was in tact on the freezer door. I really hate using the system because it is so hard to explain this way. Is there any way I can talk to you on the phone. I will be glad to pay for this service online so you get paid for your help.

My phone is XXX-XXX-XXXX. Cheri Munden in Vancouver, WA

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Now this is my question after talking with the Sears person who sold us the fridge and he looked at the same model on the floor in the store.

How do we change the temperature settings back to the manufacturer's setting?

Expert:  Appliance Man replied 2 years ago.
Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. I will be helping you with your question today. Can you double check the model #? It wont pull up for me.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

model # XXXXX XXXXX

I saw on page 31 of the manual that there is a "demo mode" you put the fridge into by pressing the temperature and ultra ice buttons at the same time. It worked. The light is still on but all the other functions have stopped. I am hoping if I give this a while and take it out of "demo mode" then it will reset the temperatures to normal settings.

What do you think?

It might. The only other thing you could do is leave the unit unplugged for 24 hours. If that doesn't work you will need to replace the control board.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
waiting to see if your suggestions work.
ok.
Experience: Appliance tech 4 years
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I tried the "demo mode" and when I took it off the "demo mode" the settings came back as normal 37 degrees for the fridge part and 0 degrees for the freezer.

Thanks so much for your help.

Your welcome.