John, restaurant equipment technician
Experience:  25+ years experience. I'm now employed by a commercial cooking equipment service company
22250861

My Kenmore Elite HE3 gas dryer shorts out the circuit breaker

Customer Question

My Kenmore Elite HE3 gas dryer shorts out the circuit breaker when I press start. I reset the breaker and PF appears, which I clear by pressing Cancel. I press Timed Dry and the minutes display, but when I press Start it makes a short noise, goes dead and trips the circuit breaker.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.

You need to remove the rear cover panel, and inspect the condition of the wiring. Look for a broken wire terminal or a worn section of insulsation. If all look OK, replace the breaker in the electrical service panel. They sometimes fail to carry the necessary current.

If my answer helps you, please click on the 'accept' button. That's how we experts are paid for our efforts.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you, John. I am at work (in CA) and will not be home until this evening, so won't be able to try this out until then. If I have trouble knowing what to look for, can I continue to communicate with you? I will certainly pay you for helping me resolve this issue. Also, the washing machine works from the same outlet. Do you think that indicates the breaker is ok and the problem is with the dryer?

Thanks,

Dawn

Also, is it correct that there is no heating element in my gas dryer?

Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.

This conversation stays open for 48 hours. If you need more time than that, you can reopen it. Since the washer works correctly, I think the breaker is OK.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok, thanks, I'll let you know what happens when I check the dryer this evening.
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
OK. Thank you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi John,
I have just spent a couple of hours trying to deal with my dryer. I took this little back cover off where the electric plug comes out of the back of the dryer. I couldn't see anything that looked like a broken terminal or worn insulation; I couldn't see that much but colored wires with little plastic boxes on them and they all looked fine, but I would have no way to know if there's some defect inside them, which there must be. I took off the plate under the door and there was a ton of lint so I cleaned it all out, thinking maybe the lint was causing it to overheat. When I tried it again, the same thing happened....as soon as I press start, it just make a poof noise and the dryer goes dead and the circuit trips. I know the plug and circuit box are fine because I tested several other appliances besides my washing machine, and all work fine. Looks like I'll have to call a repairman tomorrow. Sorry I won't be able to accept your answer....nolt your fault, this is just beyond my scope as I don't know anything about working with electrical problems. Thanks for trying to help me....
Dawn
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
OK. Thank you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
John: Please see above explanation about why I couldn't accept. I could tell nothing by taking off the cover and had to call a repairman. Sorry.
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
OK. Thank you.