Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

I have a Whirlpool Gold Side by Side Refrig., Model # XXXXX

Customer Question

I have a Whirlpool Gold Side by Side Refrig., Model # XXXXX and the ice maker will not make ice. The mold had ice in it, but was not dispensing the ice. Suspect something wrong with the heater. Removed the icemaker to thaw ice. Emptied the water, checked to make sure I had power to the unit(had power), then connected the power harness and replaced ice maker. Now it will not fill with water or begin any cycle. Have checked the IR signal and seems to be working correctly.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 years ago.

Hi, thanks for using Please remember, I do not get paid for my time and expertise until you accept. If you push the flapper on the LH side closed, does the red light stay steady? Are the fingers that eject the ice pointed up or down?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
With the switch on the light is steady when the door is opened and stays steady when I push the flapper closed. When switch is in the off positon the light bllinks twice, pauses and then blinks twice again and sequence continues. The fingers are pointe up because that is the way I positioned them.
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 years ago.

If you were able to position the "fingers", your module is broken and will need to be replaced. It is available at the link below. If you remove the white cover from the front of the icemaker, you will find that one of the little tabs that hold the large, white gear has broken and is not holding the gear on tight.

Icemaker Module $52.67

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It is true that one of the tabs is broken, but that may have happened after I defrosted the the ice, and then emptied the water. I say that because I did force the fingers some to get it to reset. Is there a possibility that the heater was the first item to be at fault? When I first checked the maker, the fingers were paralled to the base and facing the back of the maker.
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 years ago.
The fingers should point forward and slightly up when not in harvest mode. This is a VERY common problem with these, so replacing the module should take care of the problem. You can replace the entire icemaker, if you wish, but it is much more expensive!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
O.K. I'll order a module and give it a try. THANKS Dave
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 years ago.
You bet, Dave! Once you accept, this thread will remain open for you to refer back to, at no additional charge, once you receive the part!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK. Will place the order.
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 years ago.

Sounds good! Let me know if you run into trouble! Have a great night.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry to bother you, but couldn't find how to get my questions answered. I have two more parts that I want to order for my Whirlpool frig. I have the Authorized Whirlpool part numbers and want to know if I can order them and get them sent with the module I have ordered?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Other.
I know it is late, but want to add to my order so it can be all shipped together. How do I do this?
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 years ago.

You can follow the link below and tell them you want to add to your order. Click on the "Live Chat" feature at the top of the page in the upper LH corner. Sorry for the delayed response.

Appliance Zone