Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.

I was cleaning the freezer side of my Monogram side by side

I was cleaning the freezer side of my Monogram side by side refrigerator freezer and a few minutes after I closed the freezer door, I noticed that both sides were rapidly lowering in temp, but the lights were still on, etc. Now freezer is at 15 and refrig at 48!!! HELP!! It is buit in so I can't move it.

Did I do something when I was cleaning the freezer side (removed both baskets)
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Hi my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem.Please allow me some time to do research and type a response to each of your posts.

How long did you have the door open?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Too long. I had BOTH sides open for about 15 minutes, like an idiot, trying to get the baskets back in.
Mike, it may have been longer!?!?!?
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Ok you should be ok, you won't have done any harm, Once the door has been open you will need to leave the unit door closed as much as possible and give the unit around 6-8 hours to get back to the correct temp.

I notice this question is still open, Do you need any additional help regarding this problem?

If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Hitting the accept button does not exclude you from asking further questions at a later date. Please don't forget to hit the accept button since this is how I get paid for my time and effort.

Please don't leave negative or neutral feedback, this is a process, I would be happy to give you additional assistance if needed. Taking time to give me Positive feedback is always appreciated.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So basically, all the food is ruined?
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
No if you keep the doors closed the frozen food will take upto 24 hours to totally defrost, the temp should be back to normal. Leave the door closed for a hour then take a quick look at the temp in both sides. You should start to see the temp drop.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I want to understand this a little more--
1. Why didn't the Door Open beeper go off?
2, It doesn't sound as if the refrigerator is "on"--no humming sound it sometimes makes.
I'm worried that it's not actually working.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Ok by leaving the door open for 15-20 minutes while the unit was still running you let warm air into the compartments. When the compartments get to room temp it takes a good 6-8 hours for the temp to get back to where the temp was before. There is nothing you can do damage wise to the unit other then allot of frost building up on the evaporators by leaving the door open.

If you are not hearing the compressors running then you may have a problem with the mother board.

Right now I would at least leave the unit with the doors shut for an hour to see if the temp starts to drop, if after an hour the unit is still getting warmer then you will have a problem, the first thing to do would be remove the panels on the inside rear and check the evaporators for ice/frost build up. If this is the case simply melting the ice with a hairdryer will fix the problem.

If the problem is anything else your going to need diagnosis and parts to fix this.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I took a second's peek and it has dropped 2 degrees.
I think I'm ok. Thanks Mike.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Your welcome, Feel free to come back to this question if the problem persists :)