Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

my ge spacemaker xl1800 turns on normally but turns off after

my ge spacemaker xl1800 turns on normally but turns off after 2 seconds whenever any control is activated which would normally start it up.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 years ago.

Hi, thanks for using JustAnswer.com. Please remember, I do not get paid for my time and expertise until you accept. When it turns off, does the time flash on the display, as if the power had been interrupted?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The display goes black, then the time is displayed normally as it was before anything was entered
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 years ago.
Okay, the magnetron antenna gasket is leaking RF when it initially fires. You will need to replace the magnetron to correct this issue. However, you may wish to check your Owner's Manual as most GE microwaves have a 10 year magnetron warranty. If you desire to replace it yourself, please post the complete model number.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry, I lost you and had to reboot. the magnetron has 5 year warranty so it should be covered, the model # XXXXX XXXXX I'm sure it's a major component, is there any way I can be sure it is the problem, or prove it to GE? I hope you think that's a reasonable question, am just not certain about buying this answer, I'm new to this site. If I go thru the process of obtaining the part and it works all will be well, if it doesn't work, can I get my $30 back?
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 years ago.

This has been a common problem for these so I am quite confident with my diagnosis. However, I understand your hesitation and assure you that 100% satisfaction is the priority of Just Answer. If, once you accept and allow the transfer of your funds, you are not happy with the information you get, you have two options. You may continue to ask further questions regarding the problem you are dealing with at no additional charge, or end the Q & A process and request a full refund. As far as proving it to GE, they will request you have a GE Authorized Servicer perform the repair if you choose to seek the part under warranty. If you choose to repair it yourself, you will not be able to get the part covered under warranty.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The warranty covers the part only, so it seems like I'm going to have to pay for a service call from a GE tech, which I would have had to do without your help so in this case, it's not a problem that you are able to help me with, other than to advise me to contact a service tech.
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 years ago.
Well, I can help you replace it but you would have to purchase the part. The part runs around $75.00, so you would certainly be money ahead replacing it yourself as a service call will run around $140 or so.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok, that sounds fine, I guess I contact GE to order the part, then get back to you when it comes? If so, I'm fine to go ahead and click the "I'm satisfied" button
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 years ago.

The part will usually be MUCH less expensive through an independent retailer! The link below is to the least expensive retailer, but you are certainly welcome to compare prices!

Magnetron

Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience: Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!