John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.

I turned on my gas Whirlpool dryer (which we have not used

Customer Question

I turned on my gas Whirlpool dryer (which we have not used for at least one year) - I can't feel any heat being generated while the clothes are tumbling. Is there a pilot light for a clothes dryer? I cannot even tell if the gas is turned on or off on the switch - the arrow seems to have a point in both directions for the on position...
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 years ago.

Hi, thanks for using Please remember, I do not get paid for my time and expertise until you accept. There is no pilot light, it uses an electric igniter. When you initially turn it on, do you hear a couple of fairly loud "clicks" or just the motor starting?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i just hear the motor starting
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 years ago.
Okay, you likely have a thermal fuse open. Do you have a meter to test for voltage and/or continuity and are you able to do some minor disassembly of your machine? Also, I will need the model number to provide you with accurate, model specific information, please.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I can borrow one - and yes can do minor disassembly; model # XXXXX
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 years ago.

Number 7 in the picture below is the most likely to be open thermal fuse. Remove the back cover and test it for continuity. Let me know what you get. If you have no meter, you can tape the wires together and see if it heats then. Be sure to unplug the dryer before removing the rear cover!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This may take me awhile - how long do I have to get back to you?
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 years ago.
This thread will remain open until you close it. I will be around tonight until about 9:00 PM MST and then back on tomorrow around 3:00 PM MST.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok thanks I will get to it then :-)
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 years ago.
Sounds good, keep me posted!