Neilwill
Neilwill, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  10 years experience appliance repair and installation

My Sears compact refrigerator Model # XXXXX is 6 years

Customer Question

My Sears compact refrigerator Model # XXXXX is 6 years old. It is working fine except that I am finding a small amount of water and ice on the inside back panel and on the inside bottom of the unit. The drain hole leading to the drain tray appears to be open and the tray is dry. The temp setting is set at 3 which is midpoint on the scale. What is wrong?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Neilwill replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer!
If you have any questions after reading my answer,be sure to let me know.

You have an automatic defrost system failure causing ice and frost to build up on the evaporator coils. The evaporator coils are located behind the lower freezer panel. There is two (2) heating elements mounted under the evaporator coils and they most likely have burnt out and need replacing.

The defrost heater and harness assembly will cost approximately $55.00 plus the service fee and labor. The estimated cost of repair is about $200.00.

You probably could replace the defrost heaters yourself.

Neilwill, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 10 years experience appliance repair and installation
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your prompt answer. I'm sure that you are correct. I think I would like to try to replace the heaters myself. A couple of questions:

I wonder if you could send the image in some other format? The one "view full image" does not get any larger when I click on it.

Do I gain access to the heaters from the back or the inside of the unit?

Getting the parts might be a problem because Sears does not recognize the model number any longer. Do you know of a source for parts?

Expert:  Neilwill replied 2 years ago.
Here is the only diagram I can find for your fridge.
How old is it?
Expert:  Neilwill replied 2 years ago.
This should be the thermostat

I believe this Kenmore is made by Whirlpool.

Starts with 564.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You have nailed it! The diagram is for my unit all right. Thanks. XXXXX thought I earlier you said that I needed to change the two heating elements. Do I need to change the thermostat also? I don't see the heating elements listed on the parts list of the diagram.
Expert:  Neilwill replied 2 years ago.
It most likley is the thermostat is bad. or a low freon charge.
That heater element comment was a mistake. This fridge is not a self defrosting fridge and has no heating elements.
the heating elements are defrost parts and are only found in self defrosting refrigerators and freezers.

Sorry.