Jason, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Home appliance technician with 10 years experience working on numerous makes and models.

My five year old Kitchenaid in-sink batch garbage disposal

My five year old Kitchenaid in-sink batch garbage disposal will not shut off when I remove the drain plug. The unit is hard wired (i.e. no local switch) so I have to shut the unit off at the fuse panel.

I have tried to clean the surface of what I believe are the contact points between the drain plug and the throat of the unit to no avail. There is no easy way to take the unit out of the cabinet (because it is hardwired).

Is the switch unit replaceable or is the whole unit 'done'. I suppose I could install a switch in the cabinet to effectively bypass the unit's internal switch, but that is not my first preference.

Any suggestions?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jason replied 4 years ago.
The problem is the batch feed switch. It is located on the unit underneath the silver box near the top of the unit. You just have to remove the one screw that holds that box in and unscrew the switch out. If you have the model number you can order the part at
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I see no such 'silver box' on the unit. The model is KDBS250X5 - Kitchenais Superba 1hp batch processor.

The electrical connection enters from the bottom of the unit. The top of the unit appears detachable from the main body (but not easily). If I detach the unit I will be left with the drain unit that is in the sink and held there with some sort of caulking material.

Expert:  Jason replied 4 years ago.
OK, looking over the question again, I see that it is five years old. You should actually call kitchen aid and get warranty service. These units are covered by a 7 year warranty.