Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
22302088

My refrigerator seems to run a lot lately. Does the refrigerant

My refrigerator seems to run a lot lately. Does the refrigerant need replacing or servicing when that happens? My unit is 13 1/2 yr old - Kenmore - the rubbr seems to be OK and seals well and the settings have not changed.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Hi my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem.Please allow me some time to do research and type a response to each of your posts.

Can you open the freezer door and tell me if you see frost on the rear lower panel inside the freezer?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No moisture nor frost
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
what is the temp like in the fridge and freezer? is food freezing in the fridge?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Everything in the freezer stays frozen and the refrigerator is on the low side (colder) of a thermometer I have inside.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Ok it seems like everything is ok, I would pull the unit away from the wall and take the lower panel off in the rear. Once the panel is off vacuum the condenser coils, this is likely the reason the compressor is running longer then usual.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Hitting the accept button does not exclude you from asking further questions at a later date. Please don't forget to hit the accept button since this is how I get paid for my time and effort.

Please don't leave negative or neutral feedback, this is a process, I would be happy to give you additional assistance if needed. Taking time to give me Positive feedback is always appreciated.

Thanks!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My first question was not answered - does refrigerant in a unit of that age need replacing or servicing - understanding that the unit keeps food cold and there is no moisture or frost build-up. It just seems to run a lt
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
No if the unit is cooling as it should there is no need to service the refrigerant, the only time to add refrigerant is if there is a leak.

The most likely reason the unit runs longer then normal is because the condenser needs to be cleaned.