Jason, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Home appliance technician with 10 years experience working on numerous makes and models.

My microwave keeps dying when not in use- middle of the day,

My microwave keeps dying when not in use- middle of the day, middle of the night. The plug fuse gets replaced and it goes a few days, then dies again. It is three and a half years old. Magic Chef over the range, model MCO160UW
It started when the keypad membrane was replaced by Magic Chef because the oven would turn itself on and off. So, the following was done by an authorized MC repair service:
June: keypad membrane replaced, lasted 6 weeks, then died
July: plug fused replaced, lasted two hours
Aug: Keypad membrane and control board replaced, lasted four days
Sept: Plug fuse replaced and unit kept at service center for four days to see if it would work. Returned four days (total of 8) and died again.

I have been charged for the last two service calls--and have bought the parts directly from Magic Chef----- which bugs me because they didn't fix the unit. The repairman is telling me the plug fuse blows because something is wrong with my household wiring. The outlet is functioning properly and tests fine. I am thinking maybe the power cord just needs to be replaced and all this other stuff was a waste. Am also thinking I have been a fool and should have just dumped the unit. What do you think?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jason replied 4 years ago.
What has been done to test the outlet?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The technician used a volt meter, as did I. Just can't figure why this thing blows when it is not even being used.
Expert:  Jason replied 4 years ago.
OK. The cord can be the issue, that would be the only other thing that can cause something like this, since the board was replaced. Considering you are this far into it, I would replace the cord and if that doesn't work, I would replace it. YOu can usually get an over the range microwave for around $500.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX have a new, 6ft appliance cord, No. 6AC, 14/3, 1625 watts max. Will that work or is the cord too long?
Expert:  Jason replied 4 years ago.
The length should be fine, as long as the watts on it are higher than what is listed on the model serial plate, you should be set.