Jason
Jason, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Home appliance technician with 10 years experience working on numerous makes and models.
13279327

I have a Kenmore side by side and the ice maker is not working

I have a Kenmore side by side and the ice maker is not working properly. I had a repair man come out to the house and he fixed it in August . He told me that the water line into the freezer that feeds the ice maker was frozen. Now two months later it has happened again. I have had this appliance seven years and never had one problem with the ice maker up until this year.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jason replied 5 years ago.

If the ice maker line is frozen, then the water valve on the ice maker needs to be replaced.

What happens is, sometimes when a valve breaks, it does not close all the way and a slow drip of water goes up through the line. The drip is so slow that it freezes in the line and blocks water from going into the ice maker.

IF you had this problem two months ago, I would suspect that the valve has fully broken and is not allowing any water in.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
what is a estimated cost to fix the valve by a repair tech.
Expert:  Jason replied 5 years ago.
The valve retails at $65. Add labor and a service call and you are probable looking at about $200