Jason, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Home appliance technician with 10 years experience working on numerous makes and models.

We are building a new house. The contractor placed a drain

We are building a new house. The contractor placed a drain in the cabinet but the icemaker is next to the cabinet. There is no sink in the area. Shouldn't the drain be placed under the Hoshizaki icemaker in case of overflow?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jason replied 5 years ago.
The drain for an ice maker isn't for over flow. An ice maker does not keep ice frozen so as it melts, there is a drain in the bottom of it that gets rid of the water. Generally, there is a hose on the back side of the ice maker that goes from the ice maker drain to the drain in the house. Now, with that being said, it is more common to have the drain located under the machine, but maybe the only place he could put it is in the cabinet. I would ask him if he is going to route a hose to the house drain, just to make sure.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
He could have put it anywhere. It's new construction. Should we have him move the drain?
Expert:  Jason replied 5 years ago.

I would leave it if it is there already. It would be harder to remove and reinstall the drain, than just installing a hose on the ice maker drain. Also, it can make it easier if you ever need to remove the ice maker for service. With the drain on the side and not behind the ice maker, it is easier to reinstall. If it is behind the ice maker, it can be difficult to line up.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is it okay that the icemaker is sitting on a wood floor? Also, I don't believe the Hoshizaki has a pump. Is that a problem?
Expert:  Jason replied 5 years ago.
It is OK that it is on a wood floor. It doesn't need a pump as long as the drain in the house is below the drain in the ice maker, gravity will remove the water.