Jason
Jason, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Home appliance technician with 10 years experience working on numerous makes and models.
13279327

I have a Whirpool gold side by side refrigerator that has trouble

I have a Whirpool gold side by side refrigerator that has trouble with touchpad working intermitently. Unit runs fine, but keys do not respond.
Is it only a few buttons that do not work, or do all of them work intermittently?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
all of them
If you unplug the unit for 5 minutes, and plug it back in, does the problem correct itself?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

will try this next. If we let it sit for awhile, we can occasionally get a button or two to work, but usually only for 2-3 seconds then none work

OK. This is tough to say what could be the problem. It is either the key pad or the board that the key pad connects to. Usually, if it is a key pad, unplugging it will have no effect. If it is the board, it usually works for longer than 2 to 3 seconds. I will wait to see what you get after unplugging for 5 minutes.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no change after unplugging. suspect the touchscreen is the problem

Here is a link to a site where you can order the parts from. If it was me, I would replace both the board and the key pad to make sure. To replace them, remove the two screws on the bottom of the console behind the drip tray. Then you will have to pry the dispenser up. You will notice several different part numbers for the keypad. This is for the different colors available. It might be best to call up sears to get the correct number.

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-model/Whirlpool-Parts/Refrigerator-Parts/Model-GI5FSAXVY01/1198/0161000/W0906282/00008?blt=06&prst=0&shdMod=GI5FSAXVY01