Jason, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Home appliance technician with 10 years experience working on numerous makes and models.

I have a Sears Elite washer model 44934. Today I loaded it

I have a Sears Elite washer model 44934. Today I loaded it to use and think I may have "bumped" one of the control panel buttons as I loaded the clothes accidentally. In any case, when I put the soap in and closed the door, and tried to press NORMAL, nothing happens. There is no light display at all, no error codes. Power is fine, no circuit trips. What is wrong?
Can you double check the model, it should begin with three numbers followed by a period and more numbers. How do you know the outlet is good? Did you plug something else into it?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
okay it is 110.44934200. Yes I plugged something into it and check with VTVM and I get 120volts AC.
Does this model have an interior drum light?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

not sure

If you open the door, does a light come on? The light would be in the upper part of the door gasket.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
let me check. I don't remember if it ever did. Would it be in the owners manual?
Yes, it should be.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
let me check. I don't remember if it ever did. Would it be in the owners manual? I see no light. ARe you talking about a little "white" plastic nub? If not, I don't see any light.
OK, if you remove the bottom panel, there is a tech sheet in the washer that will give you the wiring diagram. We need to check for voltage to the control board. The control board is on the top right hand side. You will have to remove the top panel to access it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How does the bottom panel come off?
There are three screws on the bottom of the panel that come off and the panel pulls down.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I see only two and they are square not philips..I have to find a square wrench to fit it..
OK, it used to be three, I guess whirlpool is cutting costs by removing one screw.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No you are right...I did not see the third one in the middle. They are T30 star nuts. I got the panel off but I see no tech sheet.
It is either on the panel or up on the right wall. It is usually in a red plastic envelope.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I see a plastic covered paper but it is stuck to the side of the right side of the lower panel.
You can cut that plastic open, it is an envelope.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

It only seems to be a piece of plastic covering a form. I know what you mean have seen it before This just looks like a sheet of paper, not an envelope.

Have you taken the sheet out? Is it tech info?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ONce again are right. It is a tech sheet. I have it out now. Sorry....crouched down it looked like just a single piece of paper. It does give some tips for no power up.
Follow those test a let me know what you find. Chances are, it is going to point to a deceptive ccu (control board).
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

It has a diagnostic test. HEre is what it says

close door

Push Control On if model has this. Is this the Start button or something else

Select Drain/Spin cycle

Select NO Sping at Spin Speed button

Push Prewash Option 4x within 5 seconds

If Starting procedure fails push PAUSE/CANCEL.

I will try this.

OK, if you get nothing though, you will probably need that ccu.Let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I dont see a Control/ this on the front panel or somewhere else? I tried the test and go nothing but not sure that is becasue I did not hit Control On first.
If you have no control on button, do not worry, it is not needed for the test. Once you select spin/ drain,the unit should start the process for the test. If you have nothing, check for 120 volts to the ccu. It is on the top right side of the unit. Remove the top by removing the three screws on the back of the panel. You can just lean over the top to get to these screws. No need to pull it out.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I have had the top panel off. Where is the CCU? Is it the round black thing attached to the right side?

Another test said to plug the washer in and listen for a relay click...I did this and dont hear anything. Is the CCU bad then?

Where would I check for 120 volts there???

The ccu is the board on the right side, towards the front of the machine. It is a rectangular black or white object with a bunch of wires coming out of it. If you hear no relay click that would indicate a faulty ccu.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
is it right where the plug wires come into the machine? Or is it the big white plastic box in the middle of the back of the machine with many ribbon connectors??
Here is a picture of the part. ixId=NA&pathTaken=partSearch&pathRender=modelComponent&documentCompId=P0309046&diagramPageId=00003&productTypeId=x&searchModelNumber=11044934200&subCompDesc=Control%20panel&brandDesc=KENMORE%20ELITE&modelDesc=AUTOMATIC-WASHER-HORIZONTAL-AXIS&blt=11
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I will look at it. One of the other online tips said to check the LID SWITCH for continuity. I can get to it now. IF that were bad, would it render the CCU inoperative?
No, the door lock would not stop the unit from powering on. It would not allow water in or to let the unit spin.