Jason
Jason, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Home appliance technician with 10 years experience working on numerous makes and models.
13279327

i just bought a whirlpool accudry electric dryer. I connected

Customer Question

i just bought a whirlpool accudry electric dryer. I connected a new plug to it however i am showing only 120 volts at the dryer but 240 at the plug. what is my problem
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jason replied 3 years ago.
Where on the dryer are you measuring for voltage? Did you check for 240 between the black and red wire?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I think so but i can check again
Expert:  Jason replied 3 years ago.
Oak, because you should have 120 between red and white. 120 between black and white. And 240 across black and red. If you don't have that but have 240 at the outlet, the only thing it can be is the plug.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have 120 between black and red 120 between red and white but nothing between black and white
Expert:  Jason replied 3 years ago.
That means you do not have 120 volts on that line. The cord must be broken if you have it at the outlet. Replace the cord.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
the cord is brand new and the old one i had was reading the same before i went and bought this new one
Expert:  Jason replied 3 years ago.
And you we reading voltage where the cord connects to the dryer?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yea when i checked the plug i read 240 on the main leg and 120 on both second legs. I will check the dryer one more time
Expert:  Jason replied 3 years ago.
Can you disconnect the cord and read the voltage with out it being connected to the dryer. As carefully as possible. I want to isolate the power supply.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yea i will try that
Expert:  Jason replied 3 years ago.
OK
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
three wire plug only reads between the one center wire and one leg but no the other and does not read between the two outside wires
Expert:  Jason replied 3 years ago.
That is either the cord or the outlet or the Breaker. This is definitely an problem with the power supply and not the dryer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
well it did the same with two different power cords so i am going to go the direction of the plug or the breaker however my range is connected to the same breaker and still works fine so i am going to have to say probably the plug.
Expert:  Jason replied 3 years ago.
You should have two 240 appliance on the same circuit, they need to be on separate circuits. Can you unplug the range to see if that takes care of the dryer?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes i could let me try that.
Expert:  Jason replied 3 years ago.
OK.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
same results it has to be the plug i will go that route and change it out. Thank you for your help. Seeing as it is a three wire is there a jumper it needs or anything like that.
Expert:  Jason replied 3 years ago.
Not that I know of. If it is a three wire plug, it is just line one, line two, and neutral.
Jason, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Home appliance technician with 10 years experience working on numerous makes and models.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Alright well thank you for your assistance it is greatfully appreciated. Have a good day.
Expert:  Jason replied 3 years ago.
You too.