John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.

I have a hotpoint washer model # XXXXX it leaks in the

I have a hotpoint washer model # XXXXX it leaks in the overflow tube only in the extra large setting what's up with that
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 2 years ago.

Hi I'm John I will help you with the overflow problem.

if its leaking out the overflow tube only on those two settings i would replace the pressure switch.

http://www.partselect.com/PS269792-GE-WH12X10067-SWITCH-PRESSURE.htm?SourceCode=1&SearchTerm=vvxr1040t5wb&ModelNum=vvxr1040t5wb

the back panel has to be removed to replace the switch.

If you require more assistance let me know please.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It only has two settings works fine in small load but switch to extra large and it floods the floor
Expert:  John replied 2 years ago.

try looking when its washing at that level and tell me if the tub spins while washing

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Only agitated it fills fine and when it starts washing is when it starts to.flood
Expert:  John replied 2 years ago.
That washer has a problem with the brake not holding the tub from spinning while its washing and the centrifugal force of the tub turning will cause the water to rise and leak out the sediment tune and unfortunately the problem is with the transmission.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well how come it works fine.in the other setting
Expert:  John replied 2 years ago.
With a low water level the tub still spins but the low level wont go rise up the inside of the tub to leak out the over flow.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
It was to vague
Expert:  John replied 2 years ago.

GE plastic wash tub style washer help....

Always remember Electricity is dangerous and should be treated with respect.

Please pick a topic by Make and or problem...hope you find this helpful :-)

1. GE ( Hotpoint, Moffat ,McClary, RCA ) newer style washer - how to access the washers working parts

2. Slide show for accessing the newer style GE washer

3. GE ( Hotpoint, Moffat, McClary, RCA ) newer style washer - common problems...like pumping, noises, leaks, spinning and washing at same time....etc.

4. GE ( Hotpoint, Moffat, McClary, RCA ) newer style washer - how to change the transmission, access the consol, timer, fill valve, how to remove the inner basket.

5. GE ( Hotpoint, Moffat , McClary, RCA ) new style washer diagnostic chart - from American appliance

6. GE newer style washer agitator - how to remove the agitator

7. GE newer style washer - agitator won't agitate

8. GE newer style washer - changing the transmission repair aid

9. GE newer style washer - my agitator keeps popping up

10. GE newer style washer roars like a "freight train" in the spin mode

11. GE washer making a load cluck noise when the spin cycle starts

12. GE newer style washer - the circuit board behind the timer assembly

13. GE newer style washer - the motor wires are burnt, how do I fix this?

14. GE newer style washer - magnetic lid switch

15. GE style washer - The timer knob will not turn the timer Both old and newer style

16. How to prevent socks and such from getting into your pump

17. Important disclaimer

18. My washer has a funky odor

19. My washer will not agitate

20. Ohm testing an capacitor

21. Slow filling and no cold or hot fills

22. Would my rubber fill hoses ever burst?

GE ( Hotpoint, Moffat ,McClary ) new style washer: disconnect power first In approx. 1995 GE stopped making the metal drum washer and came out with a new plastic drum washer and plastic outer tank. To access the washer there are a couple clips between the top of the washer and the front panel that holds the panel on. There is one on each side at about where the pictures show. The clips are mounted on the cabinet and push down into slots on the front panel. Press in on these clips with a putty knife ( you will be pushing inward on the clip) and pull the top of the panel away from the cabinet when the clips are released. The bottom of the panel sits on a couple clips on the bottom of the washer. Pull out on the panel and lift off the clips at the bottom. You now have access to the operating components of this washer. To remove the top panel, remove the bleach from the top panel and remove the two 1/4" drive screws from the top front of the washer and lift up and forward on the top panel. You will have to unclip the wire harness ( male-female wire connector ) for the lid switch.

A tip from Ron ( reference model WCSR4170D0WW )

I found your website useful today to repair my GE washer. When the machine entered the drain/spin cycle there was a loud buzzing noise and the machine would not drain. I am the type of person who likes to at least try to make repairs before calling in the professional, and your site was just what I needed to complete the repair in less than an hour.

The pictures on your site were very helpful to help me get the front off and access to the working parts. Your advice about the turning the pump motor to see if it was stuck was excellent because it had very little play and I could tell something was jamming it ( newer pumps no longer have a fan blade we can manually turn like the original one did ). I expected to find one of my young daughter's socks but it was actually a straightened out paper clip that I had probably left in my pants pocket some time ago after using it to unlock a bathroom door.
I would suggest the following additional advice in that section if you agree.

1. An old credit card works fine to remove the front door and access the working parts if you don't have a putty knife handy.
2. If you have a jammed pump you probably also have a washer full of clothes and dirty water. I fished out the clothes and used a short hose to siphon the remaining water down to the bottom of the tub.
3. I removed the pump assembly by detaching the black and white power wires, remembering which was black and which was white. Then I removed the two hex screws that attach the pump assembly to the frame. I put a bucket under the pump assembly before removing the smaller hose, and the remaining water, about 1 or 2 quarts, drained into the bucket. I then removed the larger hose to find the paper clip and some other debris which I removed.

4. After reassembly, I finished my wash. I left the front panel off through the next cycle so I could check if there was any leaking from the re-attached hoses before closing it up for good.

GE ( Hotpoint, Moffat, McClary ) new style washer - common problems: The most common problems with this washer has been the leaking problems. If you access the washer and see water stains on the back left of the base or you actually see water coming out of the over flow tube you have a transmission problem. What happens is the brake does not hold the tub still during the agitation mode and the tub spins and agitates at the same time. The transmission ( #320 in the picture ) will have to be replaced, there is a kit available to repair the brake in the transmission but I have found this to be much less reliable than replacing the whole transmission. If you see water leaking down the middle of the washer you will probably need a new tub seal ( # XXXXX ) and possibly a new transmission as the leaking water damages the spin bearing in the transmission. The bleach applicator hose has also been known the rub through and leaking water as well.

If you see water leaking out the over flow pipe, often the transmission is spinning and agitating at the same time, check for this by watching the agitation cycle to see if the inner basket is taking off and spinning = need a new transmission. You can use a pop cycle stick to activate the lid switch to run the washer with the lid open/up ( for testing only!! ) A step by step room on "how to" change the transmission.

If you see water here....geoverflownew.jpg (3909 bytes) you will need to see the links above for repair aid.

Some leaking problem

s This is all about the problem.

John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.