Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
13353276

During washing the washer makes a grinding noise, very loud.

During washing the washer makes a grinding noise, very loud. Sounds like metal on metal. Any guesses?

Hi, my name isXXXXX am hoping that I will be able to help you with your problem today..

Is this noise during the spin cycle?

WARNING, if you use the OPT OUT button on the tool bar, this will bar me from answering back to you. once pressed I cannot answer anymore of your questions...Use this button with caution...

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No sir, it seems to be during the agitate cycle.

Did it just start doing this or is it gettting louder each time you are using it?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Getting worse, started yesterday. Machine purchased last July, used every wednesday and saturday.

Whirlpool came out with this system about 1 year ago, they use what is called the splutch drive, it is a cross between a direct drive and a belt drive gear case, they use an actuator on the unit to sift from spin to agitate, this actuator is a high failure item on this model, it is easy to replace however still being under warranty you can get it fixed for free, I change at least 4 of these every week on this model. You can call A&E Factory Service @ 1.800.905.9505 to have it repaired for free, I also recommend that you pruchase an extended repair agreement for this washer, until they work out all the bugs there will be more service calls on it...

Your acceptance of my answer if helpful to you, requires that you press the GREEN ACCEPT button, this will allow me to get credit for helping you today, The deposit you paid in the beginning is just that and does not transfer to any experts until you press it...

I cannot know everything since I am not there with you to see all the conditions that the appliance we are talking about,

Pressing the ACCEPT button will not stop me from continue to helping you in the future if needed on the problem we are working on..

Bonuses are welcome if I have helped you a lot, however they are not mandatory

If possible will please leave me Positive feedback as we are graded on our help to you. If you cannot leave Positive feedback please let me know why so I can try to help more.