Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a KENMORE Model# XXXXX 67942600 Serial# XXXXX Las

Customer Question

I have a KENMORE Model# XXXXX 67942600 Serial# XXXXX
Las month the upper fridge qould not cool. Technician stated he pulled off the shroud covering the fan on the lower freezer which allowed cool air to circulate up top. Now top and bottom have no cooling capibilities. I removed the shroud and the fan is free moving. There is power going to the fridge as the lights are on. Power did go out in the city around the same time...is there a on/off switch that needs to be reset? Any suggestions.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

so the fan isn't spinning by itself?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There does not appear to be any power going to the fan. Forgot to mention that the last time it was stuck was due to frost build-up. When he took the shroud off he had to put a blow-dryer to it in order to defrost the frost build-up. worked good after that.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
is it frozen up now? is there a lot of frost on the coils?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The back of the fridge is completely enclosed if that's were the coils would be located. If you are referring to the "fins" that are located internally just below the fan in the freeszer department - they are frost free. Keep in mind that they would have had a chance to completly defrost. However there has never been any pooling to indicate any type of defrosting ever occurring. As well, last month when this forst happened i believe my child may have not closed fridge entirely resulting in the obvious frost build up and pooling of water. However at no time before the fridge not working did i ever notice any frost building up.

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
do you have a volt meter?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No but if i can find one where do i plug in and what am i looking for...as u can tell i can start your heart but can't start your car kind of guy. I do have a buddy that is more mechanically inclined than i.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
there are two wires going to the fan or a plug test for 120 volts to the fan. is the compressor running ? or do you know?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don;t see the wires as i only took off the shroud covering the fan and not the 2X3 metal backing. And no i dont hear the compressor running. Are u thinking the compressor is shot? It would be a concern as i rent and i signed a contract stating appliances are my responsibilty after i move in. As well where is this green accept button that i press.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
I'm thinking this is stuck in a defrost cycle, there is a defrost timer that may have failed, I'm looking for the location of this. I'll be back soon
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
the timer is up in the controls inside the refrigerator section, you need to look up under the controls for a whole, try turning the timer with a flat head screw driver and see if it starts, its part # 12 on this diagram,.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've scanned the fridge part but where do I find the controls. Is it under the light shroud or the cool air vent at the top. Don't know where to actually start to locate the defroster timer.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay when you open the fresh food section door the controls are inside there in the front, its the part of the refrigerator where you set the temp. in the plastic casing where the controls are is where the timer is. kinda look up from below and just behind where yo set the temp.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hey Bryan - took off the temperature control cover but can't locate the defrost dial. I may be getting in over my head and will call in my buddy to see what he can do. U have been more than helpful. I hit accept on my laptop. Let me know if it didn't go thru for whatever reason.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
thanks, sorry these can be a pain, let me know if you need more assistance, thanks Bryan