Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

This is regarding GE oven Model #JGBP24GEN5WH. The buzzer

This is regarding GE oven Model #JGBP24GEN5WH. The buzzer from the oven timer started buzzing and would not shut off. I was able to disconnect a wire to the buzzer which silenced the buzzer, but then the over would not turn on. I assume the the same control mechanism that contains the timer and buzzer also controls the oven ignition and temp. Am I right about this. How can I get my oven to work and keep the buzzer silent? Do I need to replace the master control mechanism that includes the timer with the clock faces? Or is there a less costly solution?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

unfortunately you would need to replace the clock. does this have three dials ? 2 small and one large ?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, there are two small dials and one large one. It looks fairly simple to replace once I get the part. Any tricks I should know about?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
turn the two small dials until they both pop out and then try the oven
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I don't know what you mean by "turn the two small dials until they both pop out and then try the oven." I have the whole top of the oven taken apart (no small feat!!) and the control panel is loose and only connected to the rest of the oven by wires at this point. Are you suggesting I adjust the settings on the small dials to a particular postion? Or are you saying the small dials will physically come out of the rest of the control panel, and that I should try to turn the oven on after they come out? They seem to be part of a single unit that includes the larger dial. Should I take this whole unit out? This is the same control unit I was expecting to have to replace.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
well the two small dials are what control the oven like for timed bake, these dial turn to set the two small clock stop and start time, if you turn the at a certain point they will pop outward, thats the position you need them in for the oven to work
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

So I think you are saying I should adjust the dials until the little control knobs for these small dials pop out toward me. When all this started we tried turning all three knobs (on the 3 dials) to find a position that would silence the buzzer, but nothing worked for more than a a second.

Right now the oven is unplugged and the white wire to the back of the control unit (behind the dials) is not connected. I believe if I reconnect the white wire and plug in the oven the buzzer will start buzzing again. However, I will try what you suggest and get back to you in a few minutes.

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
reconnect it and try that, I think it will work.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Success! I got the the knobs for the two small dials to pop out and the oven started. However, to keep the buzzer silent I need to keep the white wire to the back of the control unit disconnected. Will this cause me any problems? We have never used the timer, so having it disabled it not a problem. Should my oven function normally with the white wire disconnected?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

I don't believe it will cause an issue, does it just come from the timer motor?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The white wire is now disconnected at the point where it should connect directly behind the left-hand small dial, which reads "Stop Time." I can't really tell where the other end of the wire ultimately goes. It first goes to junction behind the light that indicates the oven is on. Another white wire then goes from that junction to a similar junction just above the first (also right behind the oven-on light). Yet another white wire goes from that junction to a place down in the inards of the oven that I can't see, along with a bundle of other wires.

Hopefully, I will be able to put this all back together now. I was quite complicated to take apart. Can I keep you on board for a while while I try to do that? I assume you can help other people in the meantime. Would that be OK, in case I have any issues putting it all back together?

In any case, thanks for your help.

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
sure I'll be here.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX be back in a while and see that you get paid. Hopefully, I won't need any more help.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.