Jason, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Home appliance technician with 10 years experience working on numerous makes and models.

The washer wont drain. It will start to spin but than says

Customer Question

The washer wont drain. It will start to spin but than says ob and stops. I took all the clothes out and it says the same thing.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jason replied 5 years ago.
The ob means out of balance load. There are a few causes for this. Either the clothes are out of balance, you are not using high efficiency soap and too many suds are being created, or the can be a clog in the pump. Often times socks, small clothes, or debris can clog the pump. If you are extremely handy, I can walk you through removing the pump. Any repair on these units require a high degree of technical aptitude.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Im thinking that it could be clogged because on the previous wash, I washed the dog beds so maybe there is hair clogging something up. What would I need to get to, to see what would need to be unclogged?
Expert:  Jason replied 5 years ago.

First remove as much water as possible from the tub. Then tilt the machine back at a 45 degree angle and remove the three 5/16" screws that hold the bottom panel on. Then you can access the pump which is on the right side of the unit. It will have two hoses coming off of it. Unclip the pump from the motor and remove the hoses from the pump to clear it. There is going to be a lot of water that comes out of the machine when you do this. Lay down a lot of towels. Clear the pump and the two hoses. That should take care of it.

Expert:  Jason replied 5 years ago.

Here is a link to a service manual for th e whirlpool Calypso, it should d help you out. this is the same machine you have,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
WOW, you weren't joking! That was a lot of water. We found the culpret. It was the stuffing from the dog bed!! Thanks for your help and have a great week. I'm glad that I found your web page. You helped solve the problem quick.
Expert:  Jason replied 5 years ago.
No problem, glad it worked. have a good day.