Eduardo
Eduardo, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  18 years of experience, I'm an appliance and vacuum expert.
47128838

My freezer is blowing snow - it looks like the antartic up

My freezer is blowing snow - it looks like the antartic up there - I could make snowcones. The icemaker is not pulled down to make ice cubes when it started. (Been this way for about a week. I bought it used at a yardsale. It has always had ice in the ceiling and upper back wall area of the top shelf of the fridge too. Is it time to buy another one or can it be fixed.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you.

Please look in the fresh food section up near the top for model/serial sticker and check the model number. I need the model to be able to see the diagrams.

How are the door seals? It sounds like the freezer door was left open a crack or the door seal is not good, also is there a light in the freezer part?

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Model # XXXXX XXXXX No light in freezer. Door seals look good.

Expert:  Eduardo replied 3 years ago.
Hello I will try to help you with your refrigerator issue. The snow frost that you are seeing is moisture that is getting in to the freezer. This is why berry asked you to check the door gaskets. sometimes the door does not close all the way. or when somebody gets something out of the refer and closed the door the pressure from closing the door will jar the freezer door open a little. then you are getting moisture in the unit. What i would check for is opening and closing both doors at different times. open one door then close it. let close by itself then slam it closed. do that with both doors. just to rule out that the doors are closing. the next thing i would check is the door gaskets when the doors are closed. verify that no air is coming through. try those things. good luck.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
First of all -if moisture is getting inside (which makes perfect sense) what can I do about it. Secondly, I cleaned the freezer out good yesterday - and lowered all the thermostats to the lowest number. The ice cream is still very hard (too hard actually - I have to let it set out to be able to dip it.) Third, should the exterior moisture control be on ON or OFF? Thank you so much.
Expert:  Eduardo replied 3 years ago.

excellent question, the exterior will help with moisture around the door. i would turn that on. That will assist in heated the door gaskets. I would also inspect the bottom of the door gaskets. that is where they go bad first. the thermostat that you lower is a good idea. here is how that works. the freezer will alway be at 0 degrees. even if you set it to the coldest setting it will always be zero degrees. what you are selecting is the temp in the fridge. the thermostat in the frige side and has a long metal probe that is inserted in freezer way in the back. so when you lower in the thermostat you are raising and lowering the temp in the frige. so the temp will always be above freezing. 32 degrees. I wish i could tell you exactly where you moisture is coming in. most of the time it is coming through the door gasket some how. I did once find a magnet between the door gasket and body. good luck

Eduardo, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 18 years of experience, I'm an appliance and vacuum expert.