Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a Kenmore washer (series 70). It has worked perfectly

Customer Question

I have a Kenmore washer (series 70). It has worked perfectly for 7 years. Suddenly it no longer gets past the 'fill' cycle:
It will fill to proper level.
No matter where I move the timer setting knob, it will do nothing (after fill).
The timer setting does not move automatically.
(Note: no matter where the timer knob was set, if the water level was low, it would be in 'fill' mode.)

I called and had a replacement timer sent. I installed. The only change is that it will now only fill when the knob is in a position that fill 'makes sense'.

Is there a motor 'reset' button? Might the problem be the motor itself?

Thanks!!!!
JIm
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

when you put this in spin/drain it does nothing? do you hear a motor running at all?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It does nothing (other than fill) no matter where I move the timer knob. So, to answer your question - when in spin or anywhere else, there is no action, no sound at all: it is 'dead'.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
okay do you have a volt meter?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I do not. But, I can purchase one early this morning if it is what I need to check further.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

I would pick up a cheap meter and do this test. click this blue link. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Lid-Switch-Assembly/3949247/547225?modelNumber=110.24732300 it will take you to a video on how to test the lid switch. I believe thats your issue.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I will do that, but, in the past the washer will do other functions besides fill when the lid is open.

Is there an explanation for that?

I will get a meter and try.

Thank you!

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
okay. some do and some don't, if it agitated with the lid open I don't believe the switch will be bad, do you know how to use a volt meter?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
okay let me know when you have it, have you taken the cabinet off this and checked the wiring (neutral wire to motor) yet? I have a video that shows you how to take the cabinet off, would you like that?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have not taken the cabinet off. It looks intuitive, but, the video would be good.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
here you go, check the wires at the motor. make sure the neutral isn't broken (the white wire to the motor) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XIsK3W_Qcg&feature=related
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you!
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
no problem, I will be here all day, if you need more help just ask. thanks, Bryan