Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

The baking element for an old GE Self Cleaning Radiant Range

Customer Question

The baking element for an old GE Self Cleaning Radiant Range Model # XXXXX shorted out. We shut off the breaker and ordered new element ( Part number WB44X5082). When installing the element there were 3 wires. Two on the left and one on the right. Connected element exactly like the old element was installed. The question is that in all the installation instructions they only mention 2 wires. One on each side. Have I installed it correctly? Still have not turned breaker on.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

what color are the wires?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
two on left were black and the one on right my husband does not remember
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
okay well the two black together is correct and of course the other one on the other side, the reason they don't mention three wires is on some ranges (but not all) the black also feeds have the power to the broiler element, have you tried the oven yet?
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no we have not turned the breaker back on. When it shorted out I was home and had just finished baking, at 400, for an hour. I heard what sounded like a sparkler and the element was "sparking brightly" and worked it around 1/3 of it until my husband came home and turned off the breaker. Should we turn the breaker back on now?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
yes you need to try it. as long as your husband took the wires off each side and put them back on the same on the new one there should be no problem, hopefully you didn't short out the control but I doubt it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We just turned the oven on to 200 and although it smelled a little funny it is heating. The element turned red quickly but reverted back to black but it is red again. Is that ok? Tone just went off to say it is at 200. Seems to be heating but the element is RED and I dont remember that - the old one was black was that just because it was very old ( 14 years)?

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
thats just fine, the smell was the oil from your hands when handling the element, that should go away, this should get red then shut down the red again thats the way these work, the come on and off to regulate the temp. good Job ! your done. thanks Bryan