gst85
gst85, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  i have over 15 yrs experience in home appliance repairs and installs

My refrigerator makes a intermittent loud buzzing sound. It

My refrigerator makes a intermittent loud buzzing sound. It happens for about 5 to 10 seconds, every minute or so. I have an Amana Refrigerator with a bottom freezer, Model # XXXXX SER# XXXXX After a few days of this, everything in the freezer melted and it seemed as the fridge part was also not as cool. From posts on the internet, it seemed the most probable cause was either an overload relay that is attached directly to the side of the compressor, or the compressor itself.

I purchased and changed the relay. Plugged the fridge back in, and it made the same buzzing sound and did not cool at all. Figured that it's now the compressor. While browsing (google) more of the same topics, I came across one solution that had an extra note to let the fridge stay unplugged for a while before restarting to let the pressure in the compressor equalize.

I let it sit overnight, and in the morning, plugged the fridge back in, and added a small tupperware container of water in the freezer to see if it would freeze. The Fridge initially made the same buzzing sound for a few times, but then it seemed to quiet down to a normal sounding fridge. Amazingly, after about two hours, the water in the freezer was frozen.

After about 5 hours, we started to hear the compressor making the same intermittent buzzing sound again, and the water in the freezer eventually melted again.

Please Help!

PS: We are again currently letting the fridge sit unplugged overnight to see if it repeats to turn on again in the morning.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  gst85 replied 2 years ago.

gst85 :

hello,can hear hear a clicking sound as well?

Customer:

Yes, I believe it buzzes for a few seconds, clicks and then stops

Customer:

Actually curious, if there's some kind of reset procedure, whether it's unplugging it, or shutting all settings to zero, etc.., or anything to that respect?

gst85 :

thats going to be the overlaod relay that is faulty,which is mounted on the compressor.you need to replace it to fix your problem.

gst85 :

i will be online off and on all day tomorrow.i will receive an email when you have replied.thanks

Customer:

Yes, I explained that I just replaced that!

gst85 :

ok

gst85 :

ok then only thing else to turn to would be the actual compressor that is failing

Customer:

OK, so there's not type of reset function for it?

gst85 :

a compressor job may cost anywhere from 500 to 700

Customer:

again, when I first installed the relay, the fridge kept making the buzzing. If I let it sit overnight, then plugged it in, it worked for a few hours then stopped again

gst85 :

correct,not to reset a compressor

Customer:

I was under the assumption, if the compressor went, it just goes

gst85 :

thats because once the compressor starts to overheat that is when the buzzing will began

Customer:

and wouldn't work at all

gst85 :

some just go out right away and others take take to completely fail

gst85 :

do you have any other questions youd like to ask me

Customer:

is the compressor something I can change myself?

gst85 :

no sir sorry that would be something for an actual appliance tech to replace,

Customer:

ok, thank you!

gst85 :

your welcome,pressing accept pays me.

gst85 :

have a great day

gst85, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: i have over 15 yrs experience in home appliance repairs and installs