Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a Model number SHX46A dishwasher. For the past 6 months

Customer Question

I have a Model number SHX46A dishwasher. For the past 6 months or so, my glassware has gotten awfully cloudy. I know that the recommended solution is to use a rinse agent. When I try to add the rinse agent, it doesn't appear to go in at all; it just overflows, as if the reservoir is already full. Could it be clogged and need replacement?

I cleaned the dishwasher thoroughly last summer and added more rinse agent (as best I could). I also soaked the glassware in vinegar. The vinegar worked, so the glassware isn't pitted, it was filmy. After just a month, the glassware was badly clouded again.

What could be wrong?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

its a hard water problem, its not actually the dish washer itself, in some cases a water softener is required to remedy the issue. you can try running vinegar through a wash cycle a couple of time to break up the hard water film in the machine itself. just pour a bottle in the bottom after it fills and rune the cycle with no dishes, if that doesn't work you need a water softener either whole house or in line to the dish washer.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

OK, but we've NEVER had a hard water problem. The cloudy glassware problem developed after 5 years of regular use, with no complaints about cleanliness. Could the problem be accumulated salts from detergent?

(I realized that I didn't indicate make/model of the dishwasher correctly. It's a Bosch SHX46A05UC/21 - if that gives you more insight.)

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
well yes this can accumulate over time, also sometimes changes in the water you may not know about can come on suddenly. you can get a tester for hard water and see if the water is hard. running the vinegar through the machine will help break up deposits in the sump assembly.