Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I HAVE A DIRECT DRIVE KENMORE WASHER, THE TUB QUIT SPINNING.

Customer Question

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
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

this can be a pain. first make sure the brake has not dropped down, its probably hitting that, there is a white plastic piece that you can see it on the clutch assembly, you may need to reach up and turn this to release the brake so you can get the brake to go in fully.this is the basket drive and break assembly.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can see the chrome piece and the white plastic piece with the 'arm'.. i have tried rotating it, like to find the spot where it will go back up but nothing yet. I dont know if it needs more persuasion or if it has separated somehow where it would have to be replaced. this washer isnt worth a whole lot. do you mean turn the littel white platic arm piece or the chrome piece ? the arm on the white piece looks like it is on an angle or sticks down... unsure what that means ...
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
you can use a big pair of water pump pliers and squeeze the spring on the brake and push it up. is the brake not all the way up ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
can I respond tomorrow ? I cant keep running back there while I am working. I need to take a pic with my phone or something to show you what it looks like. I dont know which is the brake or clutch but I can get more info an dreply back tomorrow.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
sure I'll be on. talk then, Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i didnt get a chance to work on it any, my daughter is very sick. Is there a way to contact you ? I will just hit the accept button and you can maybe help me after I can get to it later tonite..
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
sure , just reply back later and I should be on, the reply will be sent directly to me. sorry to hear your daughter is sick.
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
bryan, ok I am back to you. I havent had any luck yet but i was wondering .. I was watching video of replacing the tranny and they removed the agitator shaft and pulled the whole shaft and tranny out at the same time. Then they grabbed the white split piece (dog I think ) and with the shaft still out, turned it CCW and pushed and it went back in .. should I try removing the whole shaft and agitator or should I be able to do this with it all still in ? It definitely looks like the brake assy is not all the way in, thus preventing the tranny from going back up enough to bolt in..
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
yeah the brake being down is whats causing your issue though. you need to get the brake all the way up or the transmission wont go up all the way.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

bryan,

i put the shell back on and leaned the sucker over on its side and turned it while jiggling, it went back in, now on to the coupler. hopefully thats it. thanks for your input. i guess if it turns funny or brakes funny i will be back to you or I ll scrap it...

thanks

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
did you get the coupling in okay?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no, the stupid parts place was closed on Sunday. That was my first chance to work on the washer. I think they want 25.00 for it (rip off) but its better than waiting for UPS.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
yeah $25.00 is way to much, its only $13.00 on line. heres a video link to show you the best way to replace it when you get it, http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Motor-Coupling/285753A/1195967 let me know if theres anything else I can do, thanks , Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

bryan, I got the parts yesterday ( motor coupling and a new inlet valve). I installed the coupling and it came apart before the first load was done. The stupid metal sleeve separated from the plastic on one of the halves and stopped working. I also ordered a new inlet water valve which did not fit and did not align with the bracket at all. I had to drill new holes in the bracket they sent in order to secure it and have enough room against the side of the cut-out to tighten the hose fittings.

I am sure the coupling is some how my fault even though I tapped it on the shaft using a spark plug socket just as the video showed. very frustrated....

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
oh okay , you need to be careful when you tap these on or they can crack and ten fall apart. where did you get the water valve?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
same place as the video link, repair clinic i think. i actually put the good half of the new cplg and the good half of the old cplg together and it worked, even though they arent the same exact design. anyway the valve does its job and the cplg will last a little while until i have to buy another one but at least i know how to do it really quick now !
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
thats great ! good job, thanks Bryan