Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a Whirlpool Duet Dyer GEW9200LW0 that is 8.5 yrs old

I have a Whirlpool Duet Dyer GEW9200LW0 that is 8.5 yrs old and I recently noticed that it is taking longer and longer to dry clothes. At times it can take up to 4 cycles to dry a load of clothes. I checked the vent and clean it every load. I even washed the vent screen and checked for the vent pipe for blockage and cleaned it out. There is good airflow out of the vent pipe. I turned the dryer on and waited a few minutes and checked to see if it was heating and it was "pretty warm" in the dryer.

ultimately, I am trying to figure out if I should replace it or fix it. Have you seen similar problems before with this model for this age? Any ideas on what this would cost for a service company to come out and diagnose and fix?

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

does this seem to get hot enough while drying? you say warm but on high heat does it get hot?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
hard to say. I let it run for a little over a min and when I opened the door the clothes were "pretty warm". Not hot, but warm. I don't know if I left it on long enough to be able to tell. I honestly did not expect to feel any warmth at all. I had convinced myself that the heating element was out.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
well if the heating element was bad it wouldn't heat at all, its the thermistor, this is what controls the heater, shuts it off and on. these fail all the time in these, you can order it at the following link. there is also a video to show you how to change it, hope this helps, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the help.

I am not handy but this looks pretty easy. What would a service company charge to fix this?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

the parts around $28.00 and whatever the service and labor charge it, we get around $79.00 for service and labor but you should check around before just making an appointment, its a pretty simple job. thanks, Bryan