rob clement
rob clement, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 years experiance working on all major brands of appliances
15347769

My stovetop is working, but the oven is not. Is my thermal fuse blown And where is the

Customer Question

My stovetop is working, but the oven is not. Is my thermal fuse blown? And where is the thermal fuse on my whirlpool electric range? #RF262LXSB 3
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Have you tried both bake and broil? If not, try broil. If both bake and broil stopped working at the same time, below is a link to the thermal fuse you'll need to order and replace.

CLICK HERE

The thermal fuse is located on the back of the oven. Pull the oven out and unplug it. Then remove all the screws holding the back panel on. Remove the back panel to access the fuse.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
He answered the question... sort of. He was very quick to respond, but when I asked a follow up and clarified some things he didn't get back to me. He told me to check several things I already told him I had done. Seemed like he was trying to answer as fast as possible and get on to his next question. Not sure how this works on his end, but it seemed like he just rushed through it. Everything he gave me I can find for free on the internet. I'm willing to pay for information that I CANNOT freely get. I asked where a part was on my stove and he responded "In the back behind the cover." Wow. Thanks. Not too impressed for my first time using the service.
Expert:  rob clement replied 3 years ago.
Hi,my name is XXXXX XXXXX need to pull the stove out to access the thermal fuse.If it is blown,you will also need to determine why it blew.Had you just used self clean recently?Once you get it out there are about a half dozen screws to remove the back.you should not need to remove the control panel back.Please keep in mind,I am not there and need your input to correctly diagnose your problem.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The bake and broil went out at the same time. I've already opened up the back of the range. I have checked the element, switch and thermometer for continuity. I am having a hard time locating the thermal fuse. I know what it looks like and cannot find it anywhere back there. Need some help on where to look!
If you have the back off it should be ,looking from the back,up on the left,there is a blue wire with a white stripe and a red wire going to it..Here is a part breakdown,maybe that will help.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I found it! Great description, Rob. But, I tested it and it's just fine. I'm not sure what else to look at now. The bake & broil definitely went out simultaneously & the stove top still works. Any thoughts on what else it might be? I checked and I still have 240 coming into the back of the range. I didn't check the sensor physically, but I did the system check and the temp was reading 75deg which was room temp, so I am assuming that that's working just fine. I'm at a loss, but I don't wanna drop $150. Any ideas, Rob?

How did you check for 240v.you need to check across the 2 120v ,not to ground.I have no way to know your level of experience,so just checking

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Slightly above average experience. Yeah, I have 120 on both sides (hot to neutral) and 240 from hot to hot. Electrical is not my strong suit, but I've asked an electrician buddy on how to check that part. Could there be something wrong with the control panel? It's the only thing I know that could be wrong at this point.
That is what I suspect,set the oven to bake and see if you have 240 across the two red wires at the control,it is conector2-7 and 2-4.it should be labeled on the board.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
They are not labeled very well. There were only 2 red wires on either side. From what I could tell one side read connector 4 and the other connector 2, but there weren't any dashes. I tried to read the tech sheet, but couldn't understand it. Like I said, this is where I struggle a little. THe multimeter read about 65 when I connected those 2... what does that mean? It can't be good, right? Rob, you've been super helpful. Let me know what else I can do.
Since you have the back off,just follow the 2 wires from the bake element to the control to verify you are checking the right wires.so far it appears to be the control.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I had the correct 2 wires.
do you have 120v at the red con4 going into the board?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no, i do not

There are 2 red wires in con4,one is power in and 1 power out.you want the red wire from the power strip,or terminal block

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
When I go from con4(power in) to con 4(power out) i get a reading of about 65. When I go ACROSS the board i get 65 from one of the con4 wires and 0 when i try ACROSS the board to the other con4 (I'm not sure which is the terminal one. I'm guessing it's the one that isn't coming from the element? The one that's not coming from the element itself is reading 0. Is that clear? I sure hope so :)
sure sounds like a control issue,short of me coming over and making for sure I would suspect a control
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Rob, you are awesome. Thanks so much for taking so much time to answer my question. It really means a lot. Have a great night!
you too.If you need anything else ask for me
rob clement, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20 years experiance working on all major brands of appliances