SubZero_Wolf Expert
SubZero_Wolf Expert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Licensed Appliance Journeyman
46655473

I recently moved into a home with a 1995 sub zero side by side

Customer Question

I recently moved into a home with a 1995 sub zero side by side fridge/freezer (model 532). The previous owner "disconnected" the ice maker because she said she preferred store bought ice. Not sure why she just didn't turn it off, rather than disconnecting it, but Is there an easy way to "reconnect it". I did not see anything obvious in the freezer. thanks!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  SubZero_Wolf Expert replied 5 years ago.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Hello, I can help you with this. There are 3 ways to "disconnect" an icemaker.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

1) there is an ice on of switch just right above the bin

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

2) You can turn off the water supply. there may be a shut off under the machine or under a sink near the machine It is house specific.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

3) Someone could disconnect wires behind the icemaker module or wires at the valve which is located behind the lower kick-late on the left side. This is unlikely as it would take a pretty technical person to do.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

The other option is that the icemaker broke and she just never got it fixed. I would check the first two things and see what you find. Beyond that you may need a tech depending on your skill level.

Customer:

it is definitely not the on/off switch. we tried that right away.

Customer:

i checked with the prior owner and she said she disconnected it but didn't say how., so number two may be the answer.

Customer:

this fridge sits on a built in platform that was built to support the fridge. it has a piece of wood covering the front kickplate (which is a major problem b/c we can't get under the fridge to make other repairs now), but she said she disconnected AFTER the platform was built, so i dont' think i need access to that valve to turn it back on. she swears to me that it worked and she voluntarily disconnected it. again, i don't understand why she didn't just turn it off.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

The only other thing it could be is if she disconnected the plastic rod and lifted the metal arm all the way up to the locked position. If you remove the bucket you should see the metal arm (horizontal) and if should not be in a locked up position.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Do you hear it make and sounds at all? do the arms that push out the ice ever move? If not then it may be broken. The only other thing to dou would be to remove the icemaker itself and do some voltage checks. I think she may have been telling you a story.

Customer:

the horizontal rod seems to go up and down when i pull the bucket in and out

Customer:

no sounds and no arm movement. and yes, i think there are lots of stories surrounding this home......

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

I thinks it's broken. Like you said why wouldn't she just flip the switch. If you remove all the shelves above the icemaker and the bucket and the light cover and the thing the cove clips into you can remove the wall/top of the icemaker and get to it to check for voltages. Do you have a multimeter? It's the hardest Icemaker to get out of all the Sub-z's but it can be checked and verified.

Sounds like this machine needs at least 1k worth of work. On the other side its about 10k to replace. most of these things should be fairly easy for your husband to check/replace but it will take the better part of a weekend. New houses are fun! Good luck and let us know if you need any further help. Thanks, Sam